Installing as a Windows Service

Description
clarkee

Installing as a Windows Service

Postby clarkee » Tue Nov 27, 2007 10:56 am

Hi.

We're a software development shop and currently enjoy Polarion ALM. We might even upgrade in the future (Watch this space!)

However, I REALLY need the ability to start Polarion as a system service. The server it runs on has to reboot occasionally and Polarion needs to start up when it boots - without a user logging in and starting it.

Any help would be amazing :) :twisted:

ldornbusch

Postby ldornbusch » Tue Dec 04, 2007 3:58 pm

Hi clarkee,
as unofficially tip:
you can try srvany, which allows you to run any .exe -file as a service,
however, we do not support this solution

Greetings,
LD

bconnection

Postby bconnection » Wed Dec 12, 2007 4:41 pm

Hi clarkee,

instead of customizing polarion for a service, you can use tasks, a standard windows functionality.

You can create a tasks, which starts automatically when the computer starts. Look carefully at the options, to ensure, that the task will not be terminated after 72 hours (standard option on my computer).

Kind Regards
Matthias

rule-of-three

On Widows Srver 2003 R2 x64 Standard

Postby rule-of-three » Sat May 24, 2008 5:11 pm

On Widows Server 2003 R2 x64 Standard you can just make extra Administrator Account as Log On user that run polaroin.exe on Log On.

That means user not ever Log In before polaroin.exe is shutdown. And just press your Remote Desktop "x" and click yes to "Are you sure you want ... session.. all applications come to left run if you do this ... and you can log in later again.... "

That was only way to get it run like service..

INSTSRV or SRVANY not work and scheduled task on server start up worked only at first test after install but after Polarion AML configuration it Polarion Server never executed on start up/reset.

One way will be use JavaWrapper but I am not sure..

rule-of-three

Re: On Widows Srver 2003 R2 x64 Standard

Postby rule-of-three » Mon May 26, 2008 12:21 am

rule-of-three wrote:On Widows Server 2003 R2 x64 Standard you can just make extra Administrator Account as Log On user that run polaroin.exe on Log On.

That means user not ever Log In before polaroin.exe is shutdown. And just press your Remote Desktop "x" and click yes to "Are you sure you want ... session.. all applications come to left run if you do this ... and you can log in later again.... "

That was only way to get it run like service..

INSTSRV or SRVANY not work and scheduled task on server start up worked only at first test after install but after Polarion AML configuration it Polarion Server never executed on start up/reset.

One way will be use JavaWrapper but I am not sure..

Concerning about this you can further Log In with this extra admin account on R2 x64 and start/stop Polarion Portal and just press "X" not Log Out on Remote Desktop when Polarion is started.

This is feature comes with Windows Server 2003 R2 x64.. with older OS versions in my tests this is not possible.. or yes you can press X" but that causes login problems sooner or leater...
--------

Return to “Polarion Application Lifecycle Management (ALM)”