Incredible high loading times and CPU-usage in Polarion

Description
SteffPoint

Incredible high loading times and CPU-usage in Polarion

Postby SteffPoint » Tue Feb 12, 2019 11:35 am

Since we have restarted our Polarion-Server, Polarion (tested with 18.1 and 18.3 on two different servers) suddenly runs extremely slow. It seems that especially queries / requests for backlinked work items and accessing SVN data cause a high time consumption (15 minutes up to server crashes). Server-sided such requests for backlinked Work Items claim up to 100 % CPU usage.

Did someone have the same / similar issue before? How was it solved?

Has anyone any idea, what could cause the problem?

Further server restarts didn't solve the problem.

Some details:

Amount of Work Items: ~20.000

Server:
CPU: Intel Xeon (R) E5-2690 with 12 cores @ 2,6 GHz
Memory: 64 GB
Partitions: 350 GB NTFS

Jürgen

Re: Incredible high loading times and CPU-usage in Polarion

Postby Jürgen » Wed Feb 13, 2019 6:13 am

With Server restart you mean that the complete machine was rebooted? Or only the Polarion process?

Were there patches installed?

Are there processes running other than Polarion which take CPU time? For example a virus scan? Is the virus scan configured to ignore the Polarion data folders?

Was the Polarion configuration changed in any way? Maybe the SVN access protocol?

SteffPoint

Postby SteffPoint » Wed Feb 13, 2019 11:56 am

Hello Jürgen,

thank you very much for your response.

In the following I have listed my answers to your questions:

- We rebooted the complete machine as well as restarted the Polarion process a several times

- What exactly do you understand as a 'patch'? Do you have any example? The only customizing I know about was installing some extensions from Polarion extensions portal

- It is only the process "JavaService" causing the high CPU usage. It also uses circa 80-90 % of the physical memory. The process with second most CPU and physical memory usage is "Subversion Server" with maximum 10 % of each. We are running also an antivirus software on the server, but the processes of the antivirus software don't cause a high CPU and physical memory usage (maximum: 1 %). Or may there be any hidden processes from the antivirus Software?

- We haven't changed anything in the SVN access protocol. Where do I find this protocol? Are there any relevant settings I could check?

Kind Regards,
Steffen

Jürgen

Postby Jürgen » Thu Feb 14, 2019 6:14 am

Hi, Steffen

if something gets worse suddenly, then the first impulse is to check, if something relevant has been changed.

For example: You rebooted the Windows server, but maybe there were Windows patches installed before, which were activated with the restart, and now they influence the Polarion service.

The Virusscan does not take that much CPU time, but Polarion does a lot of file access in SVN, and when the scanner scans each time, before files are written, that slows down the system. That's why we disabled the virus scan completely for the Polarion folders. Maybe somebody has changed the scan configuration.

The svn protocol is defined in the polarion.properties and ideally is set to "repoSystem=svn://......".

Is the server a physical server or a virtual machine? We had some problems with a virtual machine, because the file system was only configured as a "normal" file system, and it should be a "high performance" file system. Also, if it is a virtual machine, maybe the physical machine beneath was changed somehow, or the physical machine has too many virtual machines running.

What you also might try: Make a complete reindex to rebuild the database. Also delete the file cache (under maintenance in the GUI). When you do a reindex, maybe you could compare the times with the last time you did this, if you have the log files.

And talking of log files: Maybe you should check the Polarion log for error messages and/or exceptions. Also check, if you find processes taking a long time.

Jürgen

SteffPoint

Postby SteffPoint » Fri Feb 15, 2019 7:27 am

Thank you very much for the input Jürgen.

We will do a few tests the next days. I will get back to you as soon as I have news .

Have a nice weekend!

Return to “Polarion Application Lifecycle Management (ALM)”