Icons/images not displayed in pdf export

Description
r.phil

Icons/images not displayed in pdf export

Postby r.phil » Thu Aug 13, 2020 3:17 pm

Hi!

Does anybody have similar problems like ours, described below?

Since Update to Polarion Release 3.19.3, we have a problem, that so far nobody could solve or reproduce. Not even the Polarion support. The problem is existent since months, and we are pretty desperate:

Images or workitem Icons are correctly displayed in livedoc editor, but when exporting to pdf, an error message appears, like this:
"6 image(s) were not exported. They were replaced with an image containing 'This image is not accessible'."

In the exported pdf, some of the images/icons are replaced by the "sorry bear".

- The problem is existent on our productive system, as well as our test system
- index refresh did not help
- full reindex (index rebuild) did not help
- using other/new workitem-icons with different graphics format (png, jpg) did not help
- The problem can be reproduced (on our systems) very easily, using the {workitems: ...} function, as shown in the attachments below.

Any hint would be highly welcome.

bye, Ralf.

Attached screenshots for clarification:

Workitem Macro in Livedoc.png
Workitem Macro in Livedoc.png (2.64 KiB) Viewed 1402 times

Workitem Macro in exported pdf.png
Workitem Macro in exported pdf.png (34.12 KiB) Viewed 1402 times

Jürgen

Re: Icons/images not displayed in pdf export

Postby Jürgen » Fri Aug 14, 2020 6:27 pm

Hello,

right now i cannot say that I know a solution, but maybe I can help you track down the problem. Let me ask some questions:

1. Does the problem occur for every user, also for a global admin?
2. Does it occur in every project?
3. Does it occur for every work item of that type or only for some few? Does it occur for more than one type?
4. Does it also occur in a Word export?
5. Does it occur on wiki pages (and then PDF export)?
6. Does it only occur on referenced work items or also on WI that live in the document?
7. Are you using a self-made pdf template? Does it also occur with the default?
8. Does the age of the items matter? Does it occur on new ones as well as on very old ones?
9. Does it work if you create a link to the image e.g. in a free text and then export it?
10. Have you checked the log file if it contains additional hints?

- The problem is existent on our productive system, as well as our test system

I assume your test system is more or less a copy of your productive system and contains the same data, and it followed the same update path? Have to tried to install clean new Polarion system and using that repository?
- index refresh did not help
- full reindex (index rebuild) did not help

As icons are kind of "static" data I assume that they are not in the database and thus not indexed. Clearing the cache could maybe help.
- using other/new workitem-icons with different graphics format (png, jpg) did not help

Are the names of the icon files somehow "unusual" like containing special signs, spaces, tabs? Does it help to use one of the standard Polarion icons with the affected work item type?

fbachmann

Postby fbachmann » Fri Aug 28, 2020 12:19 pm

As the error message says "not accessible", I would suspect a problem with access rights - what credentials is the PDF generator using to access files on the file system (where the icons are stored)?

The Apache access log is probably a good place to start looking for more details on what's going wrong.

Hope this helps, François

vanliers

Postby vanliers » Mon Aug 31, 2020 6:15 am

Hi,

I had a similar problem caused by missing server certificate in java keystore, so I have two questions for you:

1. did you update your java version when updating to 19.3 and are you using ssl?
2. If you using ssl, did you update your server certificate?

If you can answer one of the questions with yes, be sure that your server certificate has been added to java key store. Note: Main functions and appearance to user will still fine, behalf on pdf export, there you will get a lot of bears instead of icons ;)

kind regards, Stefan

r.phil

Postby r.phil » Wed Sep 09, 2020 11:25 am

Hi Jürgen, here my answers:

1. Does the problem occur for every user, also for a global admin? Yes
2. Does it occur in every project? Yes
3. Does it occur for every work item of that type or only for some few? Does it occur for more than one type? Yes
4. Does it also occur in a Word export? No
5. Does it occur on wiki pages (and then PDF export)? It is displayed correctly on the wiki page, but PDF Export of the wiki page shows the same error.
6. Does it only occur on referenced work items or also on WI that live in the document? It occurs also on WI that live in the document
7. Are you using a self-made pdf template? Does it also occur with the default? We use a self-made template. How can I go back to the default? Our template is defined on global level. I don't find a "Reset" button or something else, there. But the template was not changed for years, so this should not be the problem.
8. Does the age of the items matter? Does it occur on new ones as well as on very old ones? It occurs on new ones and very old ones.
9. Does it work if you create a link to the image e.g. in a free text and then export it? I can create a link to the image in the document, and export it to pdf. The link in the exported pdf is working. It leads to the image.
10. Have you checked the log file if it contains additional hints? Yes, but I could not find further hints.

r.phil

Postby r.phil » Wed Sep 09, 2020 12:20 pm

Hi Stefan,
- we updated java to openJDK
- we did not update our (self-created) server certificate

I just added the certificate to the keystore (though I think, it was already there), and restarted the server. Unfortunately, this did not help. Same problem still there.

But thanks, anyway.
Ralf.

Jürgen

Postby Jürgen » Thu Sep 10, 2020 1:28 pm

Hello, Ralf

Thanks for the answers. Of course this could simply be some strange Polarion bug introduced in the latest version, but to be sure I would test some more things.

1. Could you do a clean install of that Polarion version on some (bigger) PC and use that svn repository (or at least the icons) with the cleanly installed version? This would also give you a "clean" pdf configuration.

2. For the clean PDF configuration you could also go back in history to a very early revision and look into the configuration done there. If you copy it into a specific project, you could try it with your current database. You could also modify your current configuration in one specific project to see if that has some effect. That the configuration was not changed for years could also mean that there was always some small error in it, and due to a software change this now comes to light.

3. The work item types can be configured by editing the types with the GUI, but it could also be done with an editor, changing the corresponding file (something like workitemtype-enum.xml). Maybe you could look into that file to check, if the problematic icons are defined in a somewhat other way, like full path instead of relative...)

4. By the way: are we talking about self-made icons or standard? What happens when you change the icon for an affected type? Maybe it could help to replace the files containing the icons by cleanly created versions? Might it be possible that the file names are case sensitive or contain UTF-8 characters like äöü? It also might help to change the format of the files (from png to bmp or something like that).

Maybe a question to the other people here: Which user does Polarion use for the pdf export? Is that the current user, or maybe the Polarion dummy user "polarion" that is also used for e.g. reading the database before login? Maybe that user does not have the needed rights.

Cheers
Jürgen

r.phil

Postby r.phil » Fri Sep 11, 2020 8:32 am

@Francois:
I get many entries in the apache access.log, when I trigger a pdf export, but I do not understand the meaning of the entries. I am no IT expert, so I just don't know what to look for.
Many of the entries begin with "GET", some with "PROPFIND", a few with "POST". But I cannot find anything like "error", "fail", "denied" or anything else like that.
In the apache error.log, there is no entry while I trigger a pdf export.

@all:
I will now try what Jürgen suggests, and do a clean install (probably next week). I will keep you all posted on the result.

Thanks a lot for the numerous hints I got so far. I am amazed by this helpfulness! :D

bye, Ralf.

r.phil

Postby r.phil » Fri Sep 11, 2020 8:52 am

@Jürgen:

to 3.) I checked the workitemtype-enum.xml but there are no obvious discrepancies there.

to 4.) I already tried all of that. The problem stays the same.

I will do a clean installation on our test server next week, and keep you posted.

thanks, Ralf.

Jürgen

Postby Jürgen » Sat Sep 12, 2020 8:35 am

I need to ask my question a bit more specific. Let's say for example, you have two work item types named "requirement" and "design". Requirement uses a red icon and works fine, and design uses a green icon and produces an error.

When you now switch the icons between the two types, what does happen? Possible results:
a) Still requirement works fine, even with the green icon, and the design still produces an error with the red icon => the problem lies not in the icon, but in the "design" work item type
b) Requirement now does not work, but design works fine => the problem lies in the icon

r.phil

Postby r.phil » Tue Sep 15, 2020 2:25 pm

Jürgen,

when using the {workitem:...} command, the problem is there for every WI type. So I cannot make this check.
The icons for the different WI types are mostly png, some gif, some self-made, some are Polarion standard icons.

I remember a document, where a user inserted Icons into table fields, where some of the icons were working, and some were not.
But now, I cannot reproduce this behaviour anymore. Now, ALL icons have the same problem.
It seems, the situation got worse, somehow.

bye, Ralf.

Jürgen

Postby Jürgen » Tue Sep 15, 2020 7:46 pm

now it gets spooky...

Let's wait for the clean install results before we do more guessing around

Return to “Polarion Application Lifecycle Management (ALM)”