Howto use Fasttrack

Ulf Seltmann

Howto use Fasttrack

Postby Ulf Seltmann » Thu Sep 28, 2006 8:58 am

Hi,

I am new to Fasttrack and Subversive, but we want to use it for our PHP-Projects (developing with phpeclipse).
So i have a few questions about it:

1. where can i get a brief guide in using fasttrack for projectmanagement. Do i suggest right that Fasttrack needs a commercial software to manage projects via Subversion?

2. can i use more then one projects in one tracker project and - if yes - how?

3. i get that 'NoSuchMethodError',even though i installed fasttrack 0.9.5 like you advised at your site ('install'->'New archived Site'->...). I use the following versions:
Eclipse 3.1.2
PHPEclipse 1.1.8
Subversive 1.0.3
FastTrack 0.9.5

Makes it a difference in 'Synchronize Work Items...' (where the error ocures) and using 'Commit' ?

Over all i like the idea by integrating the team-information in Subversion.

good luck

Ulf

robertneher

Postby robertneher » Sat Sep 30, 2006 7:57 am

Hi Ulf,

to two of your questions. For third one, my colleagues deeper in technology will help here.

1) Guide to Project Management
Depends on what you mean with project management. FastTrack delivers basic information for managing projects:
- Time recording
- Planning: Estimate, remaining estimate, milestone (time point), due date, priority, severity
- Definition and distribution of tasks
- Assignment of responsible person to task
- Task completeness (by filtering)
- Checking against milestones (by filtering)
- Definition of dependencies (even across projects)

Anything beyond (hoping that I did not forget important topics) that requires our commercial Polarion for Subversion Team Edition, like LivePlan, Road-map to get the full picture.

2) Multiple projects
Our understanding of project in conjunction with Subversion means folder.
A subproject is just another subfolder.
Polarion (FastTrack) is able to follow your breakdown structure, dividing your projects in subprojects which are subfolders in Subversion.
Polarion (FastTrack) consolidates all information on each node. I.e. moving upward in your project hierarchy your filter and tracker shows more and more information of underlaying subfolders (subprojects).

Best,
Robert Neher, Polarion Software GmbH

JiriWalek

Re: Howto use Fasttrack

Postby JiriWalek » Mon Oct 02, 2006 10:02 am

Ulf Seltmann wrote:Hi,

I am new to Fasttrack and Subversive, but we want to use it for our PHP-Projects (developing with phpeclipse).
So i have a few questions about it:

1. where can i get a brief guide in using fasttrack for projectmanagement. Do i suggest right that Fasttrack needs a commercial software to manage projects via Subversion?

You can have a look to embeded documentation, open Eclipse and call Help | Help Contents | FastTrack

2. can i use more then one projects in one tracker project and - if yes - how?

I will extend the information provided by Robert in words of eclipse projects. Yes you can have more eclipse projects connected to tracker project. The repository layout should looks like:

* svn root
- root PROJECT folder
- .polarion (tracker artifacts, checkouted to eclipse WS as tracker project)
- trunk
- eclipse_project_a
- eclipse_project_b
- branches

3. i get that 'NoSuchMethodError',even though i installed fasttrack 0.9.5 like you advised at your site ('install'->'New archived Site'->...). I use the following versions:
Eclipse 3.1.2
PHPEclipse 1.1.8
Subversive 1.0.3
FastTrack 0.9.5

Makes it a difference in 'Synchronize Work Items...' (where the error ocures) and using 'Commit' ?

Is it new FastTrack installation or do you update from 0.9.0?

If update do you follow installation instructions (in announcement, readme.txt, on home page), and you do not restart eclipse but close and open it again with –clean option
See: http://forums.polarion.org/viewtopic.ph ... 9d0a21d076

If new installation, do you follow install guide:
http://www.polarion.org/projects/fasttr ... README.txt

If yes, can you sent us log files (c:/eclipse/workspace/.metada/.log)
and the list of plugins (c:/eclipse/plugins).

Over all i like the idea by integrating the team-information in Subversion.

good luck

Ulf

Best regards,
Jiri Walek
jiri.walek@polarion.com
Polarion Software

Return to “FastTrack - Tracking deeply integrated in Eclipse IDE”