Checkout in subdirectory of an existing project

Utilisateur685

Checkout in subdirectory of an existing project

Postby Utilisateur685 » Fri Nov 03, 2006 12:05 pm

If you use several IDE and/or you need parts from several repositories :? , you need to be able to checkout a repository directory into some specific location of an already existing project.

It would be great to have it for subversion too. :o

ivinnykov

Postby ivinnykov » Tue Nov 14, 2006 6:51 pm

Dear Utilisateur685,

When you use Find/Check Out As... action you can select third option (Check out as a project with the name specified) and then select location where project should be stored. I think that it the same as you need. Is it right?

Note that this functionality is available in the Subversive 1.1.x.
Best regards,
Igor Vinnykov
Polarion Team

Utilisateur685

Postby Utilisateur685 » Wed Nov 15, 2006 4:08 pm

I create a Java project named "MyProject" with src/ and bin/ subdirectories.

In SVN reposiroties view, i do "Find/Check Out As...", choose 'Check out as a project with the name specified', and type "MyProject/src" in the field, i have the error 'Field "Project Name" contains invalid resource name'.

I'm using eclipse 3.3M3 with subclipse 1.1.0.M8(a?).

Elena Matokhina

Postby Elena Matokhina » Fri Nov 24, 2006 4:15 pm

Dear Utilisateur685,

At the first page of 'Checkout Wizard' if you select 'Check out as a project with the name specified' you should type the name of the project. And the path to the project should be specified at the next page of this wizard. So you can press 'Next' button and uncheck 'Use default workspace location' and specify the location you need.
Please try this and let me know if you don't get the expected result.
Best regards,
Elena Matokhina
Polarion Team

Utilisateur685

Postby Utilisateur685 » Tue Nov 28, 2006 11:57 am

Sorry it doesn't work.

I type "MyProject" in the first "Checkout As" wizard step, and then type ".../workspace/MyProject/src" in the second step, then subversive put the files in ".../workspace/MyProject/src/MyProject/".

I'm no other thread talk about this feature.

Elena Matokhina

Postby Elena Matokhina » Fri Dec 01, 2006 9:01 am

Hello Utilisateur685,

Did you try to specify 'src' as a project name and ".../workspace/MyProject" as a path to the project? If this solution doesn't satisfy your requirements - please describe in details the structure of the remote folders and what result do you wish to get after chechout.
Best regards,

Elena Matokhina

Polarion Team

Utilisateur685

Postby Utilisateur685 » Wed Dec 06, 2006 7:24 am

Hello Elena,

Your solution partialy works. After doing what you suggest i have a good local structure, but my project still doesn't have a src/ dir.

So let's explain the details:

What i have on the remote side:
SVN repository
\-trunck
\- mainpackage
\- *

What i want on the local side:
eclipse_workspace
\-MyProject
\-bin
\-* class files generated by eclipse
\-src
\-mainpackage

And eclipse must know that the project is MyProject, and not src.

I hope it's understandable.

Thanks for taking care of the request.

Elena Matokhina

Postby Elena Matokhina » Wed Dec 06, 2006 11:56 am

Dear Utilisateur685,

Thank you for the description of the remote folders structure, it helps to understand how to behave in order to get the expected result.
Please, try the following:
1. In the trunk create new folder MyProject and folder src inside. It can be performed by selecting 'New->Folder...' in the 'trunk' context menu. Type 'MyProject/src' in the field 'Name' at 'Create Remote Folder' dialog.
2. Select 'Copy To...' in the context menu of the 'mainpackage' and choose 'trunk/MyProject/src' as a destination.
3. Choose 'Find/Check Out As...' in the context menu of MyProject and select 'Checkout as a project configured using the New Project Wizard' (it should be selected by default).
4. In the 'New Project Wizard' configure the structure of a project you wish.

I hope that you will get the expected result by reproducing this steps.
Best regards,

Elena Matokhina

Polarion Team

bobo02

Postby bobo02 » Wed Dec 06, 2006 12:40 pm

Hi,

I joined Utilisateur685 in this request ;) ... and I think the last proposed solution is not realy what is needed.

I think the real need is to be able to have in your project tree some resources that aren't on the repository.

For exemple :

Code: Select all

MyProject (Could be synchronized because at least one resource is connected to svn repository)
 |
 +- src (not on the repository)
      |
      +- org (point to the repository folder http://host/svn/trunk/org)
          |
          +- here all subresource point to its parent repository
 |
 |
 +- .project (not on the repository)
 +- .classpath (not on the repository)

Here you can see that src, .project, .classpath aren't linked to any svn repository, because they aren't on. Those files are Eclipse's specific structure, and have no sens on an other IDE.[/code]

Elena Matokhina

Postby Elena Matokhina » Wed Dec 06, 2006 1:05 pm

Dear bobo02,

Thank you for your comments. There is another way how to get the structure you need. The folder 'org' (in your example) should have property svn:externals, but currently Subversive doesn't support svn:externals functionality, its implementation is planned to the nearest future.
Best regards,

Elena Matokhina

Polarion Team

bobo02

Postby bobo02 » Wed Dec 06, 2006 1:28 pm

Ho ... right, thanks for this quik answer ;)

edrex

Postby edrex » Thu May 10, 2007 12:46 am

resurrecting this thread, I can't find a newer one.

With Subclipse 1.1.2 under Eclipse 3.2, I have a locally created project "MyProject".

From the SVN Repository Browser, I select a branch and "Find/Check out as..." (why not just "Check out as..."?)

In the wizard, I select the third option, "Check out as a folder into existing project".

Here is the problem. When I select any location in my local project, I get the validation error "Destination directory is detached from the source control". Why is the parent required to be under source control? I don't understand.

Is this by design?

-- Eric Drechsel

Alexander Gurov

Postby Alexander Gurov » Fri May 11, 2007 10:57 am

Dear Eric,

The answers to your questions are:
1) The action called "Find/Check Out as..." because it allows to perform also automatic search for Eclipse projects on the repository
2) I think it is not a bug, could you please provide additional information about the project into which you want to checkout a resources?
- The project is conected to the source control?
- If yes, it is acceptable for your if the parents will be automatically added to the source control (this required in order to save the working copy in the consistent state)? If not acceptable - why?
- If no, or if previous variant is not acceptable due to some reasons, could you please give your vision of the described situation?
Best regards,
Alexander Gurov
Subversive Team

Gwaihir

Postby Gwaihir » Tue May 15, 2007 12:02 pm

Have this same problem.

Alexander: I don' t quite get what you're asking for or have in mind for this feature. I have an existing project (not, as a whole, under version control, nor should it be). I want to check out as a new folder into that existing project. The CVS client has that exact same option and that works fine. Perhaps you could check there for what this is supposed to do?

johnph

Postby johnph » Thu Sep 06, 2007 2:07 pm

This is what I wanted to do too - check out a project from a SVN repository set up by a colleague into a pre-existing directory structure alongside some code I'd written.

I tried the 'Import as folder in existing project' option with the same results as these guys: "Destination directory is detached from the source control."

Then I tried removing my existing project (keeping content of source directories) and tried setting it up as a new project, as suggested by Elena. However my specified source directory was wiped clean before the SVN folders were checked out into it, deleting 3 months work in the process!

The native eclipse new General -> Project wizard doesn't do this, nor does the CVS one so why does SVN?

Return to “Polarion Subversive - Eclipse Client for SVN”