Updating a project which was moved

etiennel

Updating a project which was moved

Postby etiennel » Tue Sep 25, 2007 6:35 pm

Hello. After reading the features list on the web site and the documentation, I thought your plug-in was handling projects that are renamed/moved in the repository. However, I haven't been able to make that work very well.

I'm probably doing this wrong. I would like to have more information on this. Specifically, here is the scenario that we ran into:

Developer A checks out Project 1
Developer B checks out Project 1

Developer A moves Project 1 from the "main" directory to the "commons" directory.

When Developer B tries to update the project, an error come up stating that the files don't exist in the repository.

the SVN Repository "Refactoring" menu was used to move the project from "main" to "commons".

What are we doing wrong?

ldornbusch

re: Updating a project which was moved

Postby ldornbusch » Wed Sep 26, 2007 8:17 am

Hi etiennel,
What are we doing wrong?

Nothing, but the question is here: what do you expect? SVN will surely not "bend" your workingcopy to a new place without informing you.
So this is how you solve this issue:

1. Developer B has to figure out where the files have moved (look into history)
2. Developer B has to make a "svn switch" to the new path, so that his workingcopy points to the new place in repository.

Alternative:
check out the folder which contains both "Project 1" and "commons", then this problem will not occur, but of the cost of propably longer checkouts

Greetings,
Lutz

etiennel

Thanks!

Postby etiennel » Wed Sep 26, 2007 5:09 pm

Thanks Lutz,

After reading the on-line documentation and features lists, it lead me to believe that Subversive was going to detect the move of the project in the repository and either automatically redirect your working copy or at least let you know.

There is a definitely a point of improvement however on the error message when one does updates on the workspace - it just say "some project could not be updated" or something like that. Does not list them out!

Thanks for your answer.

Return to “Polarion Subversive - Eclipse Client for SVN”