Splitting commits

vladimir.lapacek

Splitting commits

Postby vladimir.lapacek » Tue Sep 18, 2007 9:51 am

Hi,

One of the features of Subversion is that commits are atomic. On the other hand Subversive splits the commits under some circumstances.

One example is when I modified a file and deleted a directory and committed it altogether. In the end there were two commits, one for directory deletion and one for file modification.

Another one is, when I have several tightly connected eclipse projects under one SVN repository (framework + application project). When I do a modification in more than one of them, I would still like to be able to commit all the changes in a single run. The worst case failure is when the application change would get in, while the framework not.

Am I doing something wrong or is this by intent?

Regards,
Vladimir

Alexander Gurov

Postby Alexander Gurov » Wed Sep 26, 2007 10:33 am

Dear Vladimir,

Atomic commit works only with JavaSVN and SVN Kit client, becuase native JavaHL client does not provide corresponding functionality.
Best regards,
Alexander Gurov
Subversive Team

ikushn

Postby ikushn » Wed Oct 31, 2007 3:14 pm

Hello Alexander,

So, are you saying that one must install th JavaSVN and SVN Kit for Eclipse to fix this issue?

OR, are you saying that currently it is not possible to ensure atomic commits in Eclipse?

Thanks,
Ilia K

ikushn

Postby ikushn » Thu Dec 06, 2007 3:33 pm

Never mind.

I just realized what the problem was. The plug in was configured (by default?) to use the Native HL SVN Client, which does not commit atomically. That's really really annoying. I don't know why it even exists!

Return to “Polarion Subversive - Eclipse Client for SVN”