Compare fails after renaming parent directory

oweise

Compare fails after renaming parent directory

Postby oweise » Mon Sep 17, 2007 11:00 am

Situation:
- Check out a project under a directory "Trunk", containing some files
- Rename the directory "Trunk" to "trunk" in the SVN perspective
- Modify some file in the project and try to synchronize it.

The compare editor for that file will fail to retrieve the content of the repository version. The error message goes:

svn: '/var/svnroot/!svn/bc/(revision)/trunk/path/to/file.xml' path not found: 404 Not Found (http://servername)

The revision shown in the error message is the revision of the last change date of that file (BEFORE the directory renaming). So the cause of the error seems to be that revision number and path name do not match. On that revision number the file was available under "/Trunk/path/to/file.xml".

I'm using Subversive Version 1.1.7 with Engine SVNKit 1.1.4. The Subversion-Server is Version 1.4.0.

Am I doing something wrong or is this a problem of subversive?

Thanks for any insight.

Alexander Gurov

Postby Alexander Gurov » Wed Sep 26, 2007 10:40 am

Dear oweise,

When you renamed some folder on the server side an checked out projects will not be automatically moved to the new location. In order to restore your working copies you should perform switch action over these working copies specifying new repository path. In order to save lot of time you can perform switch for all projects at once: select projects then call Switch action and specify "trunk" folder as target to switch.
Best regards,
Alexander Gurov
Subversive Team

oweise

Postby oweise » Mon Oct 01, 2007 8:51 am

Dear Alexander,

I'm Sorry. I forgot to mention that we actually did a "Switch" from "Trunk" to "trunk" after we renamed that directory. So our correct order of operations would be:

- Check out a project under a directory "Trunk", containing some files
- Rename the directory "Trunk" to "trunk" in the SVN perspective
- Switch repository location of the Project from "Trunk" to "trunk"
- Modify some file in the project and try to synchronize it.

The problem exists nevertheless.

Additionally I should mention that the Commit-Operation for the modification works correctly. Only the compare editor fails to retrieve the contents of the previous Version with the given error message.

When we commit the modification and modify the same resource again the compare editor will again work like expected. This is most likely because it now retrieves a revision that already was checked in under "trunk".

akira

Postby akira » Tue Nov 27, 2007 1:08 am

We are having this problem to. It appears to be because Subversive is trying to compare the current version of the file to the version at which the file was last edited, but at the current path. Ie if the file was edited last before the rename it screws up because its trying to look at the current path but before it existed.

Has anyone found a solution for this? This is almost a show stopper...

Return to “Polarion Subversive - Eclipse Client for SVN”