In Eclipse, SVN a far cry from CVS

jonbarril

In Eclipse, SVN a far cry from CVS

Postby jonbarril » Thu Aug 30, 2007 8:39 pm

I started using polarion's SVN plugin for eclipse a few months ago. A friend has been using a different SVN plugin for eclipse. We are both seeing similar problems, mainly having to do with renaming and moving files and subpackages -- it is really easy to create a mess, even to the point of having to disconnect SVN, make the changes locally, and then repeatedly and selectively spoon feeding the SVN commits to clean up the mess. Closing and opening the project along the way also seems to help at times.

Perhaps the source of such problems is Subversion and not the plugin(s), but the bottom line is that CVS is a whole lot easier to use in Eclipse than SVN.

Any idea when SVN in eclipse will be at least as good as CVS, whether due to Subversion enhancements or plugin workarounds?

ldornbusch

Re: In Eclipse, SVN a far cry from CVS

Postby ldornbusch » Mon Sep 24, 2007 12:08 pm

jonbarril wrote:[...] We are both seeing similar problems, mainly having to do with renaming and moving files and subpackages -- it is really easy to create a mess, even to the point of having to disconnect SVN, make the changes locally, and then repeatedly and selectively spoon feeding the SVN commits to clean up the mess. Closing and opening the project along the way also seems to help at times.
[..]
Any idea when SVN in eclipse will be at least as good as CVS, whether due to Subversion enhancements or plugin workarounds?

Hello jonbarril,
It is difficult to give you any advice to such a vague information. I (and i am not alone) think SVN already surpasses CVS. So to answer your last question: SVN is already better than CVS.
As you cannot explain what your problems are, it is difficult to give you a helping hand.
Please provide us with information about versions of your eclipse, subversion and subversive and with an exact instruction how to get a project in such a state.

Without this information I can only give you the following advices:
if you run into a "mess", try a local commandline-client on your workingcopy, to see why your projects are in such a bad state.
Use the command

Code: Select all

svn st -uv <PATH_TO_WORKINGCOPY>

Hope that helps,
Lutz Dornbusch

bugmenot

Re: In Eclipse, SVN a far cry from CVS

Postby bugmenot » Wed Sep 26, 2007 6:57 am

You've got to be joking. While SVN itself has some advantages over CVS, Subversive is nowhere near as stable, feature-rich and usable as the CVS plugin in eclipse.

Alexander Gurov

Postby Alexander Gurov » Wed Sep 26, 2007 9:48 am

Dear bugmenot,

Do you known any important CVS-plug-in feature which is applicable to SVN itself and not implemented in the Subversive plug-in?
Also about the "stability problems": yes, Subversive have some bugs, like any another program, but please note that we constantly working on different problems and each next build is more stable in compare to previous. Also please note that integration of SVN support into Eclipse is much harder task in compare to integration of CVS support due to large set of features provided by SVN and its complexity.

So, if you have any real proposals on improvement of the Subversive project please tell us.
Best regards,
Alexander Gurov
Subversive Team

bugmenot

Postby bugmenot » Fri Nov 16, 2007 10:54 am

Compare with Tag and Compare with Branch is missing, we use this all the time on entire projects in CVS. Compare with History on a single file is also really useful in CVS, where you get a list of revisions and can click on them to diff against your working copy. The entire "Compare with" menu is disabled unless you select the obsolete Java SVN client.

Merging is still broken in 1.1.9_01
It'll first show files as mergable (i.e. no conflicts), but then when you merge, you'll get conflicts, and it'll show the <<<<<<< ---------- >>>>>>> stuff as part of the conflict. It also leaves behind temp files in some cases.

Alexei Goncharov

Postby Alexei Goncharov » Tue Nov 20, 2007 5:20 pm

Dear bugmenot,

your request for compare with tags and branches is added to our task list, but unfortunately it won't be implemented quite soon, cause the team is now totally involved in migration to eclipse.org process.

Best regards, Alexei Goncharov.

apolci

Postby apolci » Tue Dec 04, 2007 2:28 pm

ldornbusch wrote:SVN is already better than CVS.

Alexei Goncharov wrote:Dear bugmenot,

your request for compare with tags and branches is added to our task list, but unfortunately it won't be implemented quite soon, cause the team is now totally involved in migration to eclipse.org process.

May be SVN is already better tha CVS, but form the eclipse user point of view (or at least subversive user, don't know for subclipse or other clients) this is false, cause such fundamental features are missing.

In my company we were evaluating the migration from CVS to Subversion, but now I think we will postpone the project.

Return to “Polarion Subversive - Eclipse Client for SVN”