File changes simply not seen by SVN/Subversive

File changes simply not seen by SVN/Subversive

Postby jim_keller » Sun Jul 29, 2007 6:53 pm

I've been trying to get SVN working in Eclipse (3.3), and it seems that changes to my files are simply ignored. If I add or remove a file, then the filenames are properly marked with the "changed file" icon, and I can commit the changes. However, I can edit any file in my project and add or remove text without Eclipse marking the file as needing to be committed. I can even do a compare with > latest from repository and it tells me that there are no changes, even though I've clearly added or removed lines of code. I've tried upgrading Eclipse (I was previously using 3.2.1), tried uninstalling & reinstalling Subversive, tried using SVNKit instead of the native JavaHL client, and still nothing. In fact, I even tried Subclipse and saw the same exact behavior, so I have no idea what's going on here.

Has anyone seen this before? Thanks.
jim_keller

Postby Alexander Gurov » Wed Aug 01, 2007 3:47 pm

Dear Jim,

Did you tried editing outside Eclipse IDE? If so, please hit refresh (F5) button over the project node.
Best regards,
Alexander Gurov
Subversive Team
Alexander Gurov

Postby jim_keller » Thu Aug 02, 2007 8:38 pm

Alexander-
All editing was done in Eclipse. I've even re-checked out the project under a different name, and still the same behavior. I'll click a file, edit the text, save the file, and nothing happens. The file doesn't get marked as changed, and if I do a compare with > latest from repository, it says there are no differences. I'm at a loss!
jim_keller

Postby jim_keller » Fri Aug 03, 2007 5:27 am

It seems that I'm subject to the same problem discussed here:

http://dev.eclipse.org/mhonarc/lists/pl ... 00305.html

Eclipse simply doesn't update the file modification timestamp on save, but I can't seem to find a resolution for it.
jim_keller

Postby Alexander Gurov » Fri Aug 03, 2007 8:59 am

Dear Jim,

Did you tried Michael recommendation (Michael proposes to change the Java VM to another one.)? You can find it in the thread reference to which you posted in this topic: http://dev.eclipse.org/mhonarc/lists/platform-team-dev/msg00312.html.
Best regards,
Alexander Gurov
Subversive Team
Alexander Gurov

Postby jim_keller » Mon Aug 06, 2007 8:59 pm

Alexander-

I did try updating the VM, and Eclipse. I've tried quite a few things actually, and have come up with nothing. Very strange...any other clues?
jim_keller

Postby jim_keller » Tue Aug 14, 2007 7:33 pm

Finally found a solution. Per http://svn.haxx.se/subusers/archive-2006-06/0208.shtml, it appears that the version of ZoneAlarm Firewall I had installed somehow breaks file modification times in Java programs. I upgraded to the newest version and the problem seems to have gone away.
jim_keller

Return to Polarion Subversive - Eclipse Client for SVN