No symbolic links?

slektsforsker

No symbolic links?

Postby slektsforsker » Sun Mar 11, 2007 5:23 pm

I have installed Eclipse 3.2.1 and Subversive 1.1.0RC6a on my Linux system. I have created projects with File > Import ... > SVN > Projects from SVN which seems to work out fine with just one exception: symbolic links seems to be discarded during the import from my repository.

When I perform a Team > Update on imported projects with symbolic links I get
Update missing resources. The following resources are deleted outside SVN control and update will restore them. If you do not want restoring these resources, please commit it first.
every time.

Is there a way to avoid that symbolic links get discarded during import?

slektsforsker

Postby slektsforsker » Wed Mar 14, 2007 9:42 pm

seems this was harder than I expected it to be - as symbolic links is handled ok with other subversion GUI's, I thought I was only missing something in subversive. No good hints anyone?

Alexander Gurov

Postby Alexander Gurov » Fri Mar 16, 2007 11:31 am

Dear slektsforsker,

Could you please describe steps which we should do in order to reproduce the situation. Should we commit symbolic links into repository and then checkout the project which contains it?
Best regards,
Alexander Gurov
Subversive Team

slektsforsker

Postby slektsforsker » Sun Mar 18, 2007 9:28 pm

Thanks for responding Alexander

Initially I had an existing repository with several projects containing symbolic links to directories. I created Eclipse projects based on the projects in this repository with File > Import ... > SVN > Projects from SVN

It seems the symbolic links are discarded when creating the Eclipse project as I can not see them in Eclipse. And every time I perform subversion update from Eclipse I get the error message mentioned before.

slektsforsker

Postby slektsforsker » Wed Apr 04, 2007 11:39 am

Please let me know if you need more detailed information

Alexey Mikoyan

Postby Alexey Mikoyan » Thu Apr 05, 2007 12:38 pm

Dear slektsforsker,

Unfortunately, we cannot reproduce the behavior you have described. We have tested Subversive 1.1.0 Release with Eclipse 3.2.1 on Linux.
At first, we have imported project to repository using SVN command line client. This project contains symbolic links to folders and files.
Then we have tested all SVN clients having all the symbolic links valid.
JavaHL and SVN Kit clients behaves in a similar way and only shows that there are new resources in the folder which is in fact a symbolic link. Default client after checkout marks all linked files and folders and files under linked folders as OBSTRUCTED. This defect we will correct in 1.1.1 Release.
Next we have tested all the clients having all the symbolic links invalid.
All the clients behaves in a similar way and do not take broken links into account.

If you can, please, provide us with detailed information how to reproduce the problem you have described.
Best regards,
Alexey Mikoyan
Subversive Team

slektsforsker

Postby slektsforsker » Mon Apr 09, 2007 3:09 pm

Dear Alexey,

before starting over again (to provide a more detailed procedure how to reproduce the problem) I updated Subversive to 1.1.1 and Eclipse to 3.2.2, still on Linux.

The problem seems to have disappeared now. I still can not see the symbolic links in the Navigator window (like I can in other svn GUI's), but the message:
Update missing resources. The following resources are deleted outside SVN control and update will restore them. If you do not want restoring these resources, please commit it first
no longer appears.

Thanks for responding.

Return to “Polarion Subversive - Eclipse Client for SVN”