Using PKI from Smart Card

crayzfishr

Using PKI from Smart Card

Postby crayzfishr » Wed Jan 31, 2007 5:13 pm

I currently use the Subversive plugin with Eclipse to access my Subversion repository, which is set up to require a PKI certificate as part of the authentication. When Subversive encounters a request for this PKI, it prompts the user for the PKI file and the PKI password. For most users, this is acceptable.

However, some of my users are now not allowed to keep a file based PKI anymore. They are forced to only have the PKI from their smart card (US Government CAC). When these users log in to their computers, the PKI is automatically installed into their browser (IE7). From this browser, these users can access the web view of my subversion server. However, since there is no file to point to in Subversive, they cannot check out code with Subversive. This is the same with TortoiseSVN, which also uses the file based approach.

Is there any way to give Subversive an option to tap into the browser PKI? Is there any way for Suversive to tap into the PKI from the smart card? I know there is JSR 268 which is the Java Smart Card I/O API, but I don't know if that is relevant.

-Chris West

Alexander Gurov

Postby Alexander Gurov » Fri Feb 02, 2007 11:21 am

Dear Chris,

At the current moment Subversive has no way to use the browser PKI and it does not work with the Smart Card I/O API. Moreover implementing this features requires rework of the client library which is out of scope for the Subversive project.
Best regards,
Alexander Gurov
Subversive Team

crayzfishr

Postby crayzfishr » Mon Feb 05, 2007 1:50 pm

Thanks for the info.

By "client library", do you mean JavaSVN (or SVKKit)?

-Chris

Alexander Gurov

Postby Alexander Gurov » Mon Feb 05, 2007 2:55 pm

Dear Chris,

The Subversive plug-in works with the JavaSVN (SVNKit 1.1.x) and the native Subversion JavaHL 1.4.x client library.
Best regards,

Alexander Gurov

Subversive Team

Return to “Polarion Subversive - Eclipse Client for SVN”