Can Subversive detect already checked out projects?

sapporo

Can Subversive detect already checked out projects?

Postby sapporo » Tue Mar 14, 2006 3:43 pm

Hi,

After checking out an existing project from SVN via the shell and importing it into Eclipse, Subversive doesn't seem to recognize it as linked to SVN (AFAIK, Subclipse does).

The reason I need to do this is that I'm using Maven2 with a multi-module setup and therefore have a parent pom that lives outside the Eclipse project directories.

Thanks for any info!
sapporo

dsm08873

RE: detecting existing projects

Postby dsm08873 » Wed Mar 15, 2006 4:17 pm

I tried it and it didn't detect any of my existing projects. Anyone know how to get to see existing projects?

ivinnykov

Postby ivinnykov » Fri Mar 17, 2006 11:45 am

Dear sapporo and dsm08873,

It's one of most frequently asked questions, so I want to provide how-to tips here.

If you have project checkouted by another Eclipse SVN plugin (for example Subclipse) and want to work with it using Subversive

1. You need to disconnect project first. Select project and execute Team > Disconnect. Select "Do not delete SVN metainformation" in disconnect dialog and SVN working copy will not be deleted. It give you possibility to use this working copy later with Subversive and avoid recheckout process.
Note that if this step will be skipped it causes problem if you will uninstall Eclipse SVN plugin which was used for project checkout.

2. Now you can connect project to repository using Subversive. Select project and execute Team > Share Project. Select Subversive SVN provider in Share Project wizard and at the end you will be prompted to choose the SVN location. You can keep repository settings defined in project or reconnect to another repository.

If you have project checkouted by another SVN client

In this case you should connect to the repository using Share Project operation as it was described at step 2 of previous chapter.

In future we will give an ability to connect projects to SVN during the import process.
Best regards,
Igor Vinnykov
Polarion Team

sapporo

Postby sapporo » Fri Mar 17, 2006 3:12 pm

Thanks Igor, I'll give this a try soon.

schabi

Does not work for me

Postby schabi » Thu Mar 23, 2006 5:36 pm

Hello,

I had a Project that was checked out via command line SVN and then opened in Eclipse via new project wizard, and then managed via subclipse for some time, but I now deinstalled subclipse from eclipse.

I tried "share project" using the current M8 and am stuck in the "Share Project Wizard".

The project name in eclipse is "logix_ java_map_trunk", the physical path of the project directory is "~/workspace/logix/java_map_trunk".

The repository URL from the main directory, displayed via SVN info, is:

svn+ssh://slater/var/lib/svn/java_map/trunk

Now, I cannot find a combination of the path settings in this dialog that keeps this path as the "project files location", it always mangles the path to things like:

svn+ssh://slater/var/lib/svn/java_map/t ... _map_trunk
svn+ssh://slater/var/lib/svn/java_map/t ... runk/trunk
svn+ssh://slater/var/lib/svn/java_map/t ... _map_trunk

Or displays the error message "Field 'Project Name' cannot be empty."

Currently, I use command line svn for SVN operations (as I often do when I do not want to start eclipse, or do more complex things), but how can I share the project in subversive?

ivinnykov

Postby ivinnykov » Fri Mar 24, 2006 3:24 pm

Dear schabi and others,

I want to inform you that in next build 1.0.0 M9, which will be releaset till the end of this week we improved Share Project options, so you will be able to define project name with slashes and enable/disable layout (trunk, branches and tags). Options will be more flexible and allow to define any location as you want.
Best regards,

Igor Vinnykov

Polarion Team

schabi

Sounds good

Postby schabi » Fri Mar 24, 2006 3:27 pm

Hi,

That sounds good, I'll try as soon as it's available.

Thanks.

schabi

It works now!

Postby schabi » Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:53 pm

Seems to work fine now. Thanks a lot!

angelcervera

No fine :(

Postby angelcervera » Tue Jun 06, 2006 6:36 am

Process no go fine:
I'm checkout with subversive, and i move project to other workspace.

I import project and subversive not share project.
So, i process:

Code: Select all

Team -> Share Project -> Subversive SVN -> Use existing repository -> Finish

Result this error:

Code: Select all

Share 'web' failed.
Unable to share 'web' project. Folder 'web' has some content.

ivinnykov

Postby ivinnykov » Thu Jun 08, 2006 5:59 pm

Dear angelcervera,

I can't reproduce your problem, so I have some questions.

After checkout with Subversive did you delete SVN meta-information by disconnecting project (or manually) before move to another workspace? Does moved to another workspace project have .svn folders? I suppose that project didn't have meta-information, because you wrote that you selected Use existing repository option in Share wizard. If project have meta-information another window appears in Share wizard. This window contains URL to the repository extracted from SVN meta-information. In this case you should select Use project settings option to connect project to the repository.

You received an error because you performed sharing of new project (in SVN terms it means project without meta-information located in .svn folder) to URL, which already contains content. In this case SVN breaks such operation in order to prevent two projects mixing. It's normal behaviour, so I don't see problem here.
Best regards,

Igor Vinnykov

Polarion Team

Eelco

Postby Eelco » Thu Apr 12, 2007 4:25 pm

ivinnykov wrote:Dear sapporo and dsm08873,
It's one of most frequently asked questions, so I want to provide how-to tips here.

Maybe that's an indication there is room for improvement? :)

I like subversive, and it seems to be more stable than subclipse. However, when it comes to reconnecting to existing check outs, subversive is way behind subclipse. The latter detects svn information automatically, whereas with subversive you have to manually re-connect projects, even though all the svn information is already there. Worse, it doesn't work half of the time.

As an experiment, check out svn://svn.jetty.codehaus.org/jetty/jetty/trunk. Issue 'mvn install clean eclipse:eclipse' (maven 2, see http://maven.apache.org/) and then in Eclipse, import... existing projects into workspace... select root directory -> jetty checkout and uncheck copy project to workspace. Now try 'connecting those projects to their repos again. Maybe I'm missing something, but I haven't been able to do this.

dserodio

Postby dserodio » Mon Aug 27, 2007 7:02 pm

Eelco wrote:
ivinnykov wrote:Dear sapporo and dsm08873,

Maybe that's an indication there is room for improvement? :)

I like subversive, and it seems to be more stable than subclipse. However, when it comes to reconnecting to existing check outs, subversive is way behind subclipse. The latter detects svn information automatically, whereas with subversive you have to manually re-connect projects, even though all the svn information is already there. Worse, it doesn't work half of the time.

I agree, if Subclipse can do it, why can't Subversive?

Besides, this problem will probably probably keep (at least some) people from switching from Subclipse to Subversive...

Alexander Gurov

Postby Alexander Gurov » Wed Sep 19, 2007 1:45 pm

Dear dserodio,

Subversive now supports authomatic project share if meta-information exists. But this feature requires also registered repository location. If repository location which URL corresponds to imported project does not exists then multiple project share feature can be used in order to share all imported projects and create corresponding repository location at once.

Another one moment which can prevents imported project autoshare is usage of SVN 1.3 compatible JavaSVN client library for SVN 1.4 working copies. In that case user should change selected client to one of SVN 1.4 compatible at: Window->Preferences->Team->SVN->SVN Client.
Best regards,
Alexander Gurov
Subversive Team

dserodio

How?

Postby dserodio » Mon Sep 24, 2007 2:01 pm

Alexander Gurov wrote:Dear dserodio,

Subversive now supports authomatic project share if meta-information exists. But this feature requires also registered repository location. If repository location which URL corresponds to imported project does not exists then multiple project share feature can be used in order to share all imported projects and create corresponding repository location at once.

Another one moment which can prevents imported project autoshare is usage of SVN 1.3 compatible JavaSVN client library for SVN 1.4 working copies. In that case user should change selected client to one of SVN 1.4 compatible at: Window->Preferences->Team->SVN->SVN Client.
Is there some documentation about how this feature is supposed to work? I'm unable to "auto-share" using Subversive, and my projects contain Subclipse meta-info.

Alexander Gurov

Postby Alexander Gurov » Wed Sep 26, 2007 9:55 am

Dear dserodio,

You can read the Subversive documentation at: Help->Help Contents->Subversive User Guide->Team Support with SVN->SVN Sharing Wizard.

But sharing projects should not be a problem also without reading the documentation. So, could you please specify what Subversion client library is selected at: Window->Preferences->Team->SVN->SVN Client?
If the library is JavaSVN and you use SVN 1.4 the problem could be in incompatibility between JavaSVN and new SVN 1.4 working copy format.
Best regards,

Alexander Gurov

Subversive Team

Return to “Polarion Subversive - Eclipse Client for SVN”