Commit Comment is lost if commit fails

vogella

Commit Comment is lost if commit fails

Postby vogella » Fri Jan 12, 2007 9:29 pm

Hi,

if I enter a (long)commit comment and then the commit fails then the comment is lost

I believe it would be more convenient if the comment could get saved and be proposed for the next commit.

Best regards, Lars

J S Green

Postby J S Green » Mon Jan 15, 2007 11:17 am

I would like this, too. I now habitually copy the comment to my clipboard before committing, just in case ...

Alexander Gurov

Postby Alexander Gurov » Mon Jan 15, 2007 2:32 pm

Dear J S Green and vogella,

If commit failed after "Ok" button in the commit dialog is pressed, the comment should be saved permanently and you can simply select it next time from the dropdown comment list.
In case if commit dialog is cancelled the comment is saved in the editor area (until Eclipse IDE restarted) but it is not added into dropdown list.
Best regards,
Alexander Gurov
Subversive Team

J S Green

Postby J S Green » Wed Jan 17, 2007 3:47 pm

Hello Alexander

I'm afraid this is not the case. After a commit fails, it is usually because you have to do something else - an update or a merge - before committing.

After you do these other things, the commit comment is lost. I have not been able to test whether it is lost before you do the update/merge as this problem only arises if one of my colleagues has committed the same file that I have worked on.

I have tried this in 1.1.0.RC2.

J S Green

Postby J S Green » Wed Jan 17, 2007 4:03 pm

Oh - I've found it!

It gets saved and is available from the drop-down called "Choose a previously entered comment or template".

I did not understand that from your previous answer - I need to clean my glasses. :oops:

vogella

Postby vogella » Fri Feb 23, 2007 6:40 pm

Dear Alexander,

thank you for the tip. Very helpful. Best regards, Lars

Return to “Polarion Subversive - Eclipse Client for SVN”