save and suspect

Description
RJR

save and suspect

Postby RJR » Tue Jun 11, 2019 9:41 am

I want to create a situation where it i get notified like save and suspect if the parent OR the child WI is changed. Normally it only works when the parent is changed, I get notified it might impact the child but not the other way around.

Is this possible?

fbachmann

Re: save and suspect

Postby fbachmann » Wed Jun 12, 2019 8:11 am

If I'm not mistaken, "suspect" is designed to only work one way ("against the arrow") as this is the normal propagation sense of changes (eg. if a requirement changes, its test cases might need a check-up). OTOH, it's quite normal for a test case to change (draft -> proposed -> released) once its parent requirement is released, no need for special tracking of this.

From the top of my head, I can think of several options:
- creating a report about parent items whose children have recently been changed in unexpected ways
- linking the workflows of parent and child work items using a script
- adjusting the notification scheme to your specific need
- creating a parent-to-child link (as opposite duplicate of the existing link) - but this implies HUGE maintenance cost

Could you explain your need in more detail, maybe using an example?
François

RJR

Postby RJR » Tue Jun 18, 2019 7:09 am

Thank you for your reaction,

The scenario is:

Requirements and compliances, for example:
Requirement: Device needs to be sterile by ISO 11135.
Compliance: ISO 11135.
When the ISO norm changes the requirement needs to be looked at, the same goes for the compliance, when the requirement changes does the compliance still hold?

fbachmann

Postby fbachmann » Mon Jun 24, 2019 12:21 pm

Well, in that case a linkage as follows would do the trick (the norm predates your requirement, that's why the arrow is this way):

Norm (ISO 11135) <-references- Requirement "...needs to be sterile by ISO 11135" <-verifies- Compliance TC

This way the "suspect" mechanism acts as follows:
  • when you change the norm, the referencing Requirements become suspect
  • when you change a requirement, its verifying Compliance TestCases become suspect (ie. you'll need to decide if you need to re-run them to find out if the Compliance still holds)
You might want to also add a direct link from the Compliance TestCase to the norm; that would trigger the former to become suspect every time someone modifies the norm - but it's a bit more maintenance work to ensure that you're pointing to the same norm(s) as the requirement.

Hope this helps, François

Return to “Polarion Application Lifecycle Management (ALM)”