Approval Process Work Item Statuses

Description
cbehr

Approval Process Work Item Statuses

Postby cbehr » Thu Apr 25, 2019 1:50 pm

Hello everybody,

I am currently setting up an approval process for rerquirements. In the work item workflow, I created 3 statuses:

Draft
In Review
Approved

I also put some conditions & functions, e.g. all approvers have to set their approval to "approved" to be able to transition the work item to "Approved" status.

However, the approval process with approval center is completely independent of work item status.
This means the approval can take place for a work item in "Draft" status, which I want to prevent.

Also, work items can be changed after they have been approved. How do I prevent any changes in work items once a work item has left "Draft" status? (Or allow changes only for e.g. Admin?)

Thanks in advance and have a great day.

Christian

Jürgen

Re: Approval Process Work Item Statuses

Postby Jürgen » Mon Apr 29, 2019 5:01 am

I think the built-in approval process has nothing do to with the status field. They cannot be combined easily.

We do it in a way that for document approval all work items must be in the state "reviewed" (which is our final state). But it is handled completely separated.

For the work item changes: In the configuration is an entry "read-only fields", which can be used to define a write protection for a specific status. For example you could enter your status id "approved" on the left, and on the right something like
@all,-linkedWorkItems,-comments,-status,-assignee

Which means, all fields are read-only when work item is approved, except linkedWorkItems, comments, status, assignee.

Two drawbacks of this basically nice solution
a) To change an approved work item, you first have to change the status to "in review", then save, and afterwards you can edit it. This is a bit tedious.
b) This is not fool proof. It does not mean, the fields can in no way be changed. It is only protecting the work item and document view. With a wiki script for example it would still be possible to change the items.

cbehr

Postby cbehr » Mon Apr 29, 2019 8:40 am

Hello Jürgen,

We do it in a way that for document approval all work items must be in the state "reviewed" (which is our final state).

But this is handled by yourselves and cannot be set up in Polarion, right?

Jürgen

Postby Jürgen » Mon May 06, 2019 9:03 am

We are doing it manually. I don't think it can be done in Polarion without programming something.

But of course you could create a wiki page that at least checks the work item state of a document semi-automatically.

cbehr

Postby cbehr » Thu May 09, 2019 6:04 am

Thank you Jürgen.

Do you know if it is possible to prevent a user from approving a work item where he is not a "waiting" approver?
Currently, everyone can approve everything, even though this is irrelevant for the workflow.

ahh

Postby ahh » Fri May 10, 2019 7:31 pm

Hey Christian,

A couple workflow conditions to check out that might help with tying status and approvals together:

ApprovalState: Checks that all approvals are in a specific state (usually approved)
FieldNotEmpty: I believe it can check if the approvals field has some value in it (use with ApprovalState condition as well)
AtLeastOneApprovedAndNoneDisapproved: Checks that there is at least one approval a no disapprovals
ContainsNoMatchingWorkItems: Document workflow condition that checks if any work items in the document matches the query. Can be used to make sure all work items in a document are approved before approving the documents

Also check out some of the permissions. There is a permission for approving as a different user, as well as custom sets so you can set specific field permissions based on the status of the work item.

Hope this helps!

EDIT: It looks like you already have set up conditions! Totally missed that.

cbehr

Postby cbehr » Mon May 13, 2019 8:56 am

Hello ahh,

thanks for your help as well. Yes, I already integrated some conditions & functions. We are now working with this, however, it is not completely fool-proof and there are still some weaknesses:

-A user with "approver" role can approve a work item even when he is not a"waiting" approver. When he does, the item can then be set to "Approved" status - even when no one was designated as approver.

-The author of a requirement can set himself as approver and then approve, this makes no sense at all.

Any help on these issues would be appreciated.

Thank you

Return to “Polarion Application Lifecycle Management (ALM)”