Restricted Access: Only to one Polarion Project

Description
ALM_KU

Restricted Access: Only to one Polarion Project

Postby ALM_KU » Mon Mar 11, 2019 9:24 am

Hello,

we have external users who should have read and write access to only one project in the repo. These users should not be able to see other projects or data in the repo.

Currently, all internal users have read access via the global role "user".
So for the external users i've created another global grole "external" with login-permissioins to the repo and gave read access on top level repo.
I then gave the external user a write access (via project role) to the specific project.

But unfortunately that did not work. I have set all permissions but I can not get any further because error messages appear. Below you will find the error output when the external user klicks on for example on a document in the project.

Client error:

java.lang.NullPointerException

Details:

java.lang.NullPointerException

at java.lang.NullPointerException.NullPointerException(NullPointerException.java:27)
at com.polarion.alm.shared.util.ObjectUtils.notNull(ObjectUtils.java:17)
at com.polarion.alm.shared.rpe.RpeContentModel.$getLockProvider(RpeContentModel.java:204)
at com.polarion.alm.tracker.web.js.internal.RpeWidget.$checkDiscardChanges(RpeWidget.java:159)
at com.polarion.alm.tracker.web.js.internal.RpeWidget.checkDiscardChanges(RpeWidget.java:159)
at com.polarion.portal.js.navigation.NavigationControler.$navigate(NavigationControler.java:173)
at com.polarion.portal.js.internal.navigation.classic.ShortcutsTree.$handleSelectionChanged(ShortcutsTree.java:492)
at com.polarion.portal.js.internal.navigation.classic.TopicsTree.$handleSelectionChanged(TopicsTree.java:144)
at com.polarion.portal.js.internal.navigation.classic.Navigator.$handleSelectedNodesChanged(Navigator.java:417)
at com.polarion.portal.js.internal.navigation.classic.Navigator$7.nodesSelectedAndConfirmed(Navigator.java:411)
at com.polarion.reina.web.js.widgets.tree.JTreeModelConfirmSelection.fireNodesSelected(JTreeModelConfirmSelection.java:54)
at com.polarion.reina.web.js.widgets.tree.JTreeModelNode.$select(JTreeModelNode.java:398)
at com.polarion.reina.web.js.widgets.tree.JTreeNode.$handleClick(JTreeNode.java:175)
at com.polarion.reina.web.js.widgets.tree.JTree$3.handle(JTree.java:313)
at com.polarion.reina.web.js.widgets.tree.JTree.$handleEventRecurs(JTree.java:384)
at com.polarion.reina.web.js.widgets.tree.JTree.$handleEventRecurs(JTree.java:384)
at com.polarion.reina.web.js.widgets.tree.JTree.$handleEvent(JTree.java:365)
at com.polarion.reina.web.js.widgets.tree.JTree.$handleClick(JTree.java:310)
at com.polarion.reina.web.js.widgets.tree.JTreeNode$1.handleEvent(JTreeNode.java:807)
at com.polarion.reina.web.js.widgets.HTMLJsWidget.$handleEvent(HTMLJsWidget.java:69)
at com.polarion.reina.web.js.widgets.HTMLJsContainerWidget.$handleEvent(HTMLJsContainerWidget.java:87)
at com.polarion.reina.web.js.widgets.HTMLJsContainerWidget.handleEvent(HTMLJsContainerWidget.java:87)
at com.polarion.reina.web.js.widgets.HTMLJsContainerWidget.$handleEvent(HTMLJsContainerWidget.java:87)
at com.polarion.reina.web.js.widgets.HTMLJsContainerWidget.handleEvent(HTMLJsContainerWidget.java:87)
at com.polarion.reina.web.js.widgets.HTMLJsWidget.handleEvent2(HTMLJsWidget.java:299)
at com.polarion.reina.web.js.widgets.HTMLJsWidget.handleEvent(HTMLJsWidget.java:273)
at com.polarion.reina.web.js.widgets.HTMLJsWidget.handleEvent(HTMLJsWidget.java:244)
at com.google.gwt.core.client.impl.Impl.apply(Impl.java:306)
at com.google.gwt.core.client.impl.Impl.entry0(Impl.java:345)
at Unknown.anonymous(Unknown Source)
at .HTMLJsWidget_publishEventHandler2_handleEvent(Unknown Source:0)

Is my configuration right? Please help.

Thank you and regards

Jürgen

Re: Restricted Access: Only to one Polarion Project

Postby Jürgen » Tue Mar 12, 2019 12:44 pm

Hi

I have checked the Polarion help because I knew that something was noted there. It contains the following statement:
Note that login permission is tied to the user role and will not work if assigned to other roles... watcher, for example.

My conclusion: it will not work to create another role than user with login rights. Most probably all the internal functions just check if the role "user" is assigned or not. They don't look for "a role that is allowed to login".

You should probably create a global reader role and assign all users to this role who shall have global read access. Then you should remove the global read permissions from the user role.

That means you would have a one-time effort to migrate existing users, afterwards you can configure new users to have the global reader role using the parameter rolesForNewUserAccount in the Polarion.properties.

Finally you can simply give your special users only the user role and the according project role.

Return to “Polarion Application Lifecycle Management (ALM)”