Title versus Description

Description
pksublime

Title versus Description

Postby pksublime » Fri Sep 14, 2018 3:36 pm

Whenever I edit a requirement work item's description field, the tool is automatically copying the content to the work item's title field.

Where would this action be specified and how do I disable it?

sk-tsb

Re: Title versus Description

Postby sk-tsb » Wed Sep 19, 2018 12:54 pm

Hi,

can you describe the problem with more details please. Which view (LiveDocument, Workitem, Wiki...) before safeing , change status before safeing and so on....

Thanks in advance

Cheers Sven

pksublime

Postby pksublime » Wed Sep 19, 2018 1:31 pm

I am using the work item view. When I press save a dialog pops up saying something about sav8ng changes to TWO fields. This is what seems weird as I have only edited one field.
I proceed and then find that the title has also been updated and now in LiveDoc view the description is appended to the title duplicating text already in the document.

Jürgen

Postby Jürgen » Thu Sep 20, 2018 5:29 am

Polarion has a built-in behavior, that it shows the first line of the description as the title, if the title field itself is empty. So this behavior should stop when you give the work item a real title.

pksublime

Postby pksublime » Thu Sep 20, 2018 10:47 am

Okay, I tested this and it's more than just the first line, but the rest seems to be as you stated.

I created this item by only editing the description, note that all the lines of the description are being used
Capture1.PNG
Capture1.PNG (21.95 KiB) Viewed 195 times

Next I tried editing the title and the title and description are acting seperately
Capture2.PNG
Capture2.PNG (17.09 KiB) Viewed 195 times

Lastly I edited the description again, and they are still acting seperately.
Capture3.PNG
Capture3.PNG (18.83 KiB) Viewed 195 times

pksublime

Postby pksublime » Thu Sep 20, 2018 11:44 am

Starting over I also tried creating a new item, filling out both the title and the description. That seems to work as well.
Capture4.PNG
Capture4.PNG (18.63 KiB) Viewed 195 times
Capture5.PNG
Capture5.PNG (15.51 KiB) Viewed 195 times

Lastly, with this new item I am not able to place it as a child of a heading work item so that it appears in our system requirements document in the correct place. Sure I can place it in the right spot, but it's not linked to the header of that section and when it's placed, the title doesn't show up. Only if I generate the requirement from within the document does it correct link to having the header as the parent.

So that leaves me with a question on the right way to import requirements from our documents. Our requirements are formatted with a heading as the title and then the paragraph of text (usually a single line) as the description with the shall statement.

Requirement Title
The description of the requirement.

Jürgen

Postby Jürgen » Mon Sep 24, 2018 6:35 am

When you create a work item outside a document, for example in the table view, you need to use the "move" command to put it into a document. The move command is in the tooth-wheel menu of the work item. (it might be that there are two tooth-wheel menus on the screen, on above the work item table and one above the work item. Use the latter).

When selecting move, a window opens where you can select the document. The work item will then appear at the end of the document. You can put it in the right place by either
- moving it again, this time within the document structure
- cut and paste it
- cut it and insert it from the recycle bin

If in the document the title does not show up, you probably need to configure the document to show the title.

Importing work item from a Word document, where the title is a heading, should work this way:
In the configuration during import define
- mark paragraph
- as work item of the right type
- condition "has style" with the right style, e.g. heading 2
- under advanced options include next paragraph as work item description
- condition: isn't empty

pksublime

Postby pksublime » Tue Sep 25, 2018 11:11 am

Woderful - Thanks for all the help

Return to “Polarion Application Lifecycle Management (ALM)”