Only display item field if it's populated

Description
mkpolarion

Only display item field if it's populated

Postby mkpolarion » Tue Jun 26, 2018 8:15 pm

With the existing interface, I have limited rendering options. I can either display an item field at all times, or none of the time. This can clutter a document in cases where the information is only relevant in certain cases (e.g. providing a rationale for a requirement). When the item is displayed and there is no data, Polarion will show something like [Field name], and add hover-over text indicating that the field is empty.

I'm curious if there's a way to use the API to overload this rendering

ALMighty

Re: Only display item field if it's populated

Postby ALMighty » Fri Jun 29, 2018 8:00 am

mkpolarion wrote:With the existing interface, I have limited rendering options. I can either display an item field at all times, or none of the time. This can clutter a document in cases where the information is only relevant in certain cases (e.g. providing a rationale for a requirement). When the item is displayed and there is no data, Polarion will show something like [Field name], and add hover-over text indicating that the field is empty.

Can you provide a screenshot of what you want to actually solve?
I am an avid API user who frequently uses it, hence maybe I can help
if it becomes more clear to me what your request is about. :wink:
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Playing a good game is never lame. :D

mkpolarion

Re: Only display item field if it's populated

Postby mkpolarion » Fri Jun 29, 2018 4:24 pm

ALMighty wrote:
mkpolarion wrote:With the existing interface, I have limited rendering options. I can either display an item field at all times, or none of the time. This can clutter a document in cases where the information is only relevant in certain cases (e.g. providing a rationale for a requirement). When the item is displayed and there is no data, Polarion will show something like [Field name], and add hover-over text indicating that the field is empty.

Can you provide a screenshot of what you want to actually solve?
I am an avid API user who frequently uses it, hence maybe I can help
if it becomes more clear to me what your request is about. :wink:

Hi ALMighty, thank you for adding your wisdom!

I've created a field called 'Occasionally Populated Field':

Screen Shot 2018-06-29 at 10.53.18 AM.png
Screen Shot 2018-06-29 at 10.53.18 AM.png (55.47 KiB) Viewed 50 times

I populated the field in one of two requirements. Polarion will display the populated field for the requirement where it was populated and it displays [Occasionally Populated Field] for the one that it is not populated:
Screen Shot 2018-06-29 at 10.44.37 AM.png
Screen Shot 2018-06-29 at 10.44.37 AM.png (69.84 KiB) Viewed 50 times

Furthermore, if I hover my mouse over the field, it says 'This field is empty', indicating that it knows the field is not populated.

My question is whether I can write an extension that will only display the field if it's populated and hide it if it's not.

Return to “Polarion Application Lifecycle Management (ALM)”