How to set external links in left navigation bar / shortcuts.xml

Description
SteffPoint

How to set external links in left navigation bar / shortcuts.xml

Postby SteffPoint » Fri Apr 06, 2018 7:23 am

How can I set links to external sites / other project sites in the left navigation bar of Polarion ALM?

I have following code in the "default_project_favorite_shortcuts.xml":

Code: Select all

<shortcuts>
    <shortcut icon="/polarion/icons/default/topicIconsSmall/help.png" name="FAQ for users" pagePath="/wiki/FAQ/FAQ%20USER" scope="/project/#/otherprojectsite"/>
</shortcuts>

The problem is, that I want to link to a Polarion page which is on another project site. But when I set this link it always tries to open locally in the project where I am.

Is it also possible to link to any external sites, such as google.com, within the default_project_favorite_shortcuts.xml?

I think the problem is the "pagePath", but I don't know what's the right command to replace it.

ALMighty

Re: How to set external links in left navigation bar / shortcuts.xml

Postby ALMighty » Thu Apr 12, 2018 3:01 pm

SteffPoint wrote:The problem is, that I want to link to a Polarion page which is on another project site. But when I set this link it always tries to open locally in the project where I am.

Is it also possible to link to any external sites, such as google.com, within the default_project_favorite_shortcuts.xml?

As far as I see it, both aren't possible in the shortcuts and favorites.

An alternative however could be that you place these links in the YOUR_PROJECT/home page of your project, the directory in which the home page is listed can be found in YOUR_PROJECT/wiki/_index. Probably the /home page will be a LiveReport Page instead of a Wikipage (for the different types, see the attachment) but Live Report pages also have Script blocks (I never used them though) or, if you want to have your /home page as a Wikipage, check the chapter "Converting from Classic Wiki Format" in this page of the Polarion help: https://almdemo.polarion.com/polarion/h ... gUser.html

Now concerningf the links:
Check out the Chapter "Links" in the Detailed Syntax Help (which you can find under URL_OF_YOUR_POLARION/#/wiki/Doc/SyntaxHelp), there you find special types of links in which you can state the different project as a parameter. These types of links have the adavantage that when the URL of your server changes it does not affect the links since the Server URL is not hardcoded unlike in <a> tags of HTML.

Of course you can also use <a> tags in the /home page of your project which you will need including links to external websites.
Attachments
Types_of_Polarion_pages.png
Types of Polarion Pages available if you have ALM license
Types_of_Polarion_pages.png (32.07 KiB) Viewed 965 times
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Playing a good game is never lame. :D

SteffPoint

Re: How to set external links in left navigation bar / shortcuts.xml

Postby SteffPoint » Fri Apr 13, 2018 5:46 am

Thank you very very much ALMighty :) It solved my matter! :D

Return to “Polarion Application Lifecycle Management (ALM)”