Copying Requirements between documents

Description
Dan MN1967

Copying Requirements between documents

Postby Dan MN1967 » Thu Dec 14, 2017 9:08 pm

Hello.

I am currently working on pilot requirements for a new software feature (captured in one Change Request document for Pilot), which will eventually need to be modified following any feedback from the field and captured in a separate Change Request document for the eventual release, both of which are going to be stored within the same project/program.

Since the second 'release' requirements document will eventually have these requirements merged into our Master Repository of requirements (separate from project/program), and this document will probably include a majority of the requirements in the 'pilot' requirements document, with additions and modifications, would there be any issues if I copied the requirements from the 'pilot' doc to the 'release' doc as references to start with and overwrite those that may need to be modified versus just copying the text of each requirement to the 'release' doc and creating entirely new requirements? Also, could I merge a referenced requirement into the Master Repository as is, or would I need to overwrite each first so that it is no longer a reference?

Another option that I have not used previously is copying a requirement from one document to another as a reference and then 'unmark' it to assign a new number to it in the 'release' document?

In general, since the 'release' requirements are all that need to be merged eventually, retaining the original requirement #s from the 'pilot' document doesn't really matter, ... just curious the best timesaving route if I have to copy over at least 100 requirements.

Thanks.

Jürgen

Re: Copying Requirements between documents

Postby Jürgen » Thu Dec 21, 2017 12:58 pm

This looks a little complicated, so let me try to describe this in my words, before I try to answer questions.

- You have a master (global) repository of requirements, where all your "old" requirements are stored.
- You have a project for a new feature, with a document (Pilot) that contains all new requirements
- In the same project you want to have a second document, as a copy from the pilot, that then will contain all the changes from the field feedback and maybe redesign.

Questions:
- After you have finalized the second document, will you still need the pilot?
- Shall both documents be merged in to the global repository or only the second one?
- Do you need to change the pilot document in parallel to its copy?

As I currently understand it, I would do the following:
1. Create a copy from the pilot document with references; Freeze the references and use the copy as the frozen state of the pilot.
2. For the second release then work in the original pilot document and simply change the requirements there => use this document for the second release now.

That way you don't need to bother with overwriting, and merging should be easy. If this is possible depends on the answers to my questions above.

fbachmann

Re: Copying Requirements between documents

Postby fbachmann » Wed Jan 03, 2018 3:48 pm

I would strongly suggest to stop using the "copy" mindset and use Polarion's branching feature for this.

Basically, it sounds like what you're doing is creating a branch for the "pilot" / change, working on this branch (which will not affect the main "release" trunk), and eventually cherry-pick which changes you want to merge back to the "release" trunk.

Have a look at the online help / tutorial videos to get the hang of this.

François

Return to “Polarion Application Lifecycle Management (ALM)”