ActiveX usage in Polarion

Description
mliebelt

ActiveX usage in Polarion

Postby mliebelt » Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:41 am

We in our company have the problem that the ActiveX component that is used inside Polarion may not be used in the standard configuration. So I have a few question to that (see the Polariron Help, and search there for ActiveX to get the context):

1. Why is the ActiveX component in Polarion not signed as necessary?
2. How can I find the ActiveX component inside a Polarion installation?
3. If my company does not allow to use the ActiveX component, is there any way to "enable" / "install" / ... it inside in the personal environment of a user.

Thank you a lot.

Markus

chyliko

Re: ActiveX usage in Polarion

Postby chyliko » Wed Jan 13, 2010 12:23 pm

Hello Markus,

Polarion does not use any actual ActiveX components with exception of one very specific call to allow opening Live Documents directly from the web interface (button Edit in Word / Edit in Excel). This is a feature where Polarion's use of scripting may not be up-to-date with the standards of the latest browser versions and therefore some warnings or needs of workaround at user side may occur.

From your description however it sounds that you meet these problems more often or in another form than expected.

Please indicate which browser and which version of it you are using, what are the problems or error messages you observe and when do they occur (on specific action, opening a specific view, etc.). It is even possible that there is some false alarm issued thanks to your company's security settings. And with additional information we may find something to improve on Polarion's side not to provoke a false alarm.

Thanks,
Ondrej

mliebelt

Postby mliebelt » Mon Jan 25, 2010 9:40 am

Hi Ondrej,

you didn't get it right: Our company may decide that Polarion may be not used at all, because the use of ActiveX components which are not properly designed is not allowed. It does not matter, if the feature these components enable are used or not. So I need urgently the information where this component is located in the installation directory (it should be available there), and some of the background why it is not signed properly.

Thank you a lot

Markus

chyliko

Postby chyliko » Mon Jan 25, 2010 3:57 pm

Hi Markus,

I hope I understand better now that the problem is with the actual note in Polarion's Help that users should change their Internet Explorer settings. This advice is based on the experience with the browser behavior, which is slightly misleading because Polarion really does not use any ActiveX components of its own, it only makes a call to open Word/Excel via VBScript.

In the installation, you can find the actual code in:

/Polarion/polarion/plugins/com.polarion.portal.jetspeed_3.4.1/webapps/jetspeed/index.jsp

Please see the vbscript script section starting on line 94 (in version 3.3.3) - it defines two procedures to open Word or Excel file.

I am sure Polarion's Professional Services would assist you in case you need to modify the script to either remove it (and therefore disable the related functionality) or to modify it so that it is applicable for you.

In either case, you can also disreagard the advice in Help - do not change your browser settings and open the Live Documents, if necessary, by the indirect "copy & paste URL" way.

I hope this helps.

Regards,
Ondrej

Ondrej Chylik, Polarion Software

mliebelt

Postby mliebelt » Mon Jan 25, 2010 4:03 pm

Hi Ondrej,

that was exactly the advice I was looking for. I will give that information to the responsible people inside our company, and I hope we will solve our issue.

Thank you

Markus

Return to “Polarion Application Lifecycle Management (ALM)”