Copying entire Polarion Projects

Description
plonka

Copying entire Polarion Projects

Postby plonka » Tue Feb 26, 2008 8:30 am

Hello again,

what is the best way to copy an entire project in Polarion?

The process is as follows:

We have standard products and I track the requirements and featuers of them in a separate Polarion Project for each product.

When a new project is started for a customer, I want to import the cusomer's requirements into Polarion and link the standard features to them. However, sometimes not all features are needed, some have to be modified and some are completely new.

So my idea was to copy or branch the Polarion project containing the standard requirements including the links to the architecture below it. Then, I want to import the customer's specification into that project. After linking what we have to what the customer wants I want to run two analyses. Which requrements are not covered and which standard features are not needed.

Of course I have to compare the outcome of that process to the original standard any time, but I think I can handle that using a baseline after copying the project.

Shall I copy or branch the project in subversion and add it to Polarion again? Or is there a copy feature within Polarion. I know that I can copy work-items to other projects but I had problems trying that approach for this use case.

I don't want to use templates as I want to be able to work on the standard requirement specification in Polarion.

Thanks,
Christian

ldornbusch

Re: Copying entire Polarion Projects

Postby ldornbusch » Mon Mar 03, 2008 9:55 am

Hi, Christian
you can use the templates, if you want to copy the project-configuration. It is very straightforward to create a template:
Just create your desired Project-structure into your template folder. If you create a polarion project, Polarion will copy this template structure into your new created project folder.
In each Polarion project is a .polarion - folder which keeps all configuration-data of a project. You can copy this folder (except the tracker/workitems -folder, which contains the workitems) either from a running project or from a project template.
Important
You must not copy the workitems, as they will collide with their workitem-IDs with the old project this will cause at least unpredictable results.
In the current version of Polarion, copying Workitems is not supported

Hope that helps,
Lutz

plonka

Postby plonka » Mon Mar 03, 2008 10:17 am

Hi Lutz,

actually, it does not help. I'm only interested in the work-items! Most of the devices that we build have to satisfy the same requirements. So all projects initially have to start with the same set of requirements that are then modified for the individual customer. So I absolutely need several projects with the same system requirements!

Any ideas?
Thanks,
Christian

ldornbusch

Re: Copying entire Polarion Projects

Postby ldornbusch » Mon Mar 03, 2008 10:27 am

Hi Christian,
ok, I understand, in this case you can use a collection of workitem inside a LiveDoc(note that LiveDoc-option is only available in Polarion Enterprise Ed.)
You can create a fixed set of Workitems inside a LiveDoc and assign WorkitemIDs after project creation. You can also edit the Workitems in polarion and you do not need to use Word/Excel for this, however, to create the first collection of Workitems inside a LiveDoc you will need Microsoft Office 2003 Professional.

Greetings,
Lutz

plonka

Postby plonka » Mon Mar 03, 2008 11:51 am

Hi Lutz,

that sounds like a workaround. Nevertheless, I think that this feature should be addressed in Polarion directly. There are several issues that are not covered, like links from architectural work-items (in other projects) that "implement" the requirements.

Thanks for the idea,
Christian

Return to “Polarion Application Lifecycle Management (ALM)”