Recommended project directory layout

Description
wipfl

Recommended project directory layout

Postby wipfl » Wed Jun 27, 2007 10:43 am

Up to now I understood that the recommended project layout of a 'polarionized' project is like:

MyProject:
    .polarion (automatically created by Polarion)
    branches
    documents (automatically created by Polarion)
    tags
    trunk

This makes a problem when accessing the project work items via FastTrack. It forces the user to check out the full project tree with ALL branches and tagged versions.

Now my question: what is the recommended layout of a Polarion project that has already existing source code?
Any better idea?
For my opinion it would be OK to use a layout like:

MyProject
    branches
    tags
    trunk
      .polarion
      documents
      code

This would allow to tag a current state of work items as well as of source code. But will the polarion 'auto-link' feature to the svn commit message work with such a layout?
And how can I change project directory layout afterwards?

NickEntin

Postby NickEntin » Thu Jun 28, 2007 10:39 am

Hi,
I guess we should discuss internally the issues you've brought here. Especially the interoperation of FastTrack and Polarion.

Moving of .polarion folder beneath trunk will lead to the fact, that "trunk" will be marked as project (.polarion folder has a marker file, which is used to recognize parent folder as polarion project), which is not what you like, I guess.

Linking of SVN commits will not be affected - it doesn't matter, where the sources are committed, if the commit message contains ID of a workitem somewhere in the repository - it will be linked. Moreover, in the commit message you could use either short ID of WorkItem, e.g. "MYPRJ-234", or long one "MYPROJECT$MYPRJ-234". Second variant ensures that you're linking revision to unique WorkItem existing in Project MYPROJECT, however using of short ID could link the revision to 2 or more WorkItems (if you have the same WorkItem IDs in several projects).

You could restructure your project with SVN client, but if you move .polarion folder, it's recommended to initiate reindex procedure

Hope it clarifies.

Best regards,
Nick

NickEntin

Postby NickEntin » Thu Jun 28, 2007 11:07 am

BTW, I just figured out that all my TrackerProjects, I've checked out by FastTrack include only .polarion folder, it doesn't check out trunk, branches or tags (and for my projects trunk is checked out in separate Eclipse project, they're not managed by FastTrack).
I used "Find projects in the children of the selected resource" feature to checkout TrackerProjects and source (Eclipse) projects (here you could check projects you like to have in your workspace).

Could you clarify, please?

Best regards,
Nick

wipfl

Postby wipfl » Thu Jun 28, 2007 1:50 pm

Good hint,

i just tried it and maybe it solves some other odds.

I did it the following way:

1) I created a FastTrack perspective
2) Here I selected in context menu:
New project -> SVN -> Projects from SVN -> selcted .polarion (on server root) -> Find projects in the children of the selected resource.

When all projects are ticked (even the whole svn server) it checks out all the administrative xml files as well. So I can edit these files in eclipse easily.

This solves my problem.

Thanx for the help.

Return to “Polarion Application Lifecycle Management (ALM)”