Can Polarion do ..?

Description
captainc

Can Polarion do ..?

Postby captainc » Fri Apr 28, 2006 11:42 am

Hi,

Currently we are using Surround SCM by seapine, which works, but we must add quite some procedures and stuff around it to achieve a different environment for development and release. We have looked and tested with subversion, but the main obstacle is that it locks at a directory level, and all files in it - even if only 1 has changed - are checked in and get a new number. Secondly, we create SW products, which consist of some directory structure where some directories have files which are all shared with other products, and some directories are unique per product.

So I have some questions:

- can I checkout a single file which sits in a directory, check it in after change, without modifying the revision number of all other files in that directory. Preferrably, we use keywords in the sources, which show this number. At the same time, the files in this dir are used in other products as well, so I do not want to see any changes which are not true changes

- I have skimmed through the user manual, but is there documentation at a conceptual level?

- will I be able to share directories i.e. a bunch of files, in multiple projects? We have about 50 products of which 90% is shared between all projects. So if I fix a bug in product 1, I want to see that fix end up in 2-50. Obviously any changes or development may not be directly effective in products 2-50 but only via strict procedures I want to have that single change end up in 2-50 (are linked Workitems and Workflow the way to go), so what about 'shared' files?

- is there some contact (phone, visit) for questions on how to set it up starting from scratch? Other suggestions?

Thanks

dobisekm

Re: Can Polarion do ..?

Postby dobisekm » Wed May 03, 2006 8:15 am

Hi Captainc,

captainc wrote:- can I checkout a single file which sits in a directory, check it in after change, without modifying the revision number of all other files in that directory. Preferrably, we use keywords in the sources, which show this number. At the same time, the files in this dir are used in other products as well, so I do not want to see any changes which are not true changes

If you modify a single file, then the whole repository revision number increases by one, but if you ask for the revision log for a folder or single file, then you will get the list of revisions, in which the given file (or content of a given folder) were modified. Therefore the other files in the same dir are not affected in any way.

captainc wrote:- I have skimmed through the user manual, but is there documentation at a conceptual level?

The Subversion book (svnbook.org - also bundled with svn installation) gives all the technical information on Subversion, I am not aware of any other source covering the usage process related info.

captainc wrote:- is there some contact (phone, visit) for questions on how to set it up starting from scratch? Other suggestions?

Please email info at polarion.com or sales at polarion.com to discuss this.

I hope this helps,

Michal Dobisek
Polairon Team

Return to “Polarion Application Lifecycle Management (ALM)”