Importing XML-Files (Round-trip)

Description
JoernTietjen

Importing XML-Files (Round-trip)

Postby JoernTietjen » Mon Feb 13, 2012 3:34 pm

Hi all,
I'm curious to learn whether there is a way to import work items from elements of an XML-file similar to the way one can do it with Excel-sheets (xslx). Round-trip engineering is also an issue with this.
I have design artifacts in the shape of XML-files which I would like to link towards the corresponding requirements in Polarion. They have attributes like name, UID and type which need to be available in their Polarion WI counterparts. In general, a proxy set of WIs representing all external artifacts is needed here.
Extracting the data from the elaborated form to pure XML import data via XSLT is a no-brainer. However, creating xlsx or docx via XSLT for Polarion import causes me headaches.
I played around with bypassing Polarion and adding WIs through plain SVN but you need to be very careful not to corrupt the Polarion internal notion of the project structure. Making round-trip possible would cause a lot of scripting around the import feature.

Since internal data storage of WIs in polarion uses XML I would assume that importing XML is easier to implement than importing MS Office formats. However, I didn't find any out-of-the-box solution.
Thus, any hints and/or pointers are very much appreciated.

TIA and regards,
Joern

NickEntin

Re: Importing XML-Files (Round-trip)

Postby NickEntin » Tue Feb 14, 2012 2:18 pm

Hello Joern,

your description seems to be too complex in first sight.
We have various importers (XML parsers, if you like) on our POP site ([url]extensions.polarion.com[/url]), but I guess you need to discuss in more details with our Integration Team (part of Professional Services by Polarion) - check with your Polarion rep. how to proceed here more efficiently.

Best regards,
Nick

JoernTietjen

Postby JoernTietjen » Tue Feb 14, 2012 2:33 pm

Hi Nick,

do you consider importing an XML-File built according to the Polarion WI schema definition to be more complex than importing docx or xslx?
OK, maybe my description of it was too confusing but basically it is all about importing an item which is very similar to its Polarion internal representation (via XSLT I can even make it *identically* structured).
Or the solution is so obvious that I didn't recognize it ...

Regards
Joern

Zwi_B&R

Postby Zwi_B&R » Wed Feb 15, 2012 11:26 am

Hi!

We did the "bypassing Polarion and adding WIs through plain SVN" thing for our import.
But we made 2 steps for it:
1st step is to generate new dummy-workitems with the Excel importer (making an Excel table to import any number of dummy-workitems without content is easy to do).
2nd step is to replace the content of the dummy-workitems with the correct content - this can be done via plain SVN (if you have your XML files in the correct format).

But be aware that polarion will refuse to show a workitem and/or a table if you feed bad data this way!

NickEntin

Postby NickEntin » Thu Feb 16, 2012 9:16 am

Hi,

principally Polarion is fully prepared to get data from repository directly (some old users may remember offline editor for WorkItems, which are synchronized with SVN directly).

The only concerns you have to be careful of:
- don't produce conflicts on WorkItem IDs. Create your workitems with different prefix. E.g. you have in the project workitems IDs in form of "PRJ-123", do your new items with different (even unique, if you like!) prefix, e.g. A3F4G-123
- Polarion doesn't have strict XML Schema for the format, but you understand it very quickly - the fields definion and links definition...
- the data should be parseable, of course. Though you can see problems in parsing in the log files (i.e. incremental reindex will happen automatically when you add those items in SVN and parsing errors will be reflected in the log).
- be careful to create (you'll consider update too, maybe) items in consistent state. E.g. if your workflow status will be not configured in the project, you'll not be able to do any changes of state with the workitem.
- Make sure that consistency of the data is ensured for e.g. mandatory fields, conditions, etc. Polarion will not check it on parsing...

Best regards,
Nick

Return to “Polarion Application Lifecycle Management (ALM)”