Auto-assignment

Description
juck75

Auto-assignment

Postby juck75 » Thu Nov 03, 2011 11:57 am

Hi everyone,

today I tried to configure the Auto-assignment feature of Polarion 2011 for my defect workflow. All I want to achieve is:

- If a certain status change happens for my Workitem "defect" I want to have it automatically assigned to a specific user.

Following the manual I configured a rule in the "Auto-assignment" admin area stating exactly that. What now happens is: If the status of the defect changes to this specific value the assignee does not change. But: If I then manually set the "assignee" value to --automatic-- and push the "save" button, the assignee changes as stated in the auto-assignment rule.

My expectation would be that the assignee changes without applying the --automatic-- value in the assignee dropdown box.

It would be great to hear from you guys regarding this topic.

Thanks
Juergen

NickEntin

Re: Auto-assignment

Postby NickEntin » Fri Nov 04, 2011 2:15 pm

Hi Juergen,

the autoassignment works only when you specify "Automatic" in the drop-down list.
Note that you can set multiple assignees AND automatic - then on save, those, who match the auto-assignment rule will be added to the list.

If you want that assignments will be forcingly changed when state changes - you need to implement workflow function for it.

Best regards,
Nick

juck75

Postby juck75 » Fri Nov 04, 2011 2:33 pm

Hi Nick,

thanks for your fast reply. Can you please be a little more specific on how to implement "workflow functions" to enforce the assignee change when changing the state for a work item?

Thanks
Juergen

NickEntin

Postby NickEntin » Mon Nov 07, 2011 1:30 pm

Hi Juergen,

you know what workflow function is, do you? (you can register a java function, which will be triggered when workflow transaction is executed).
If not - I'd recommend you to contact your Polarion representative, and they can link you to our Professional Services to get this done.

You can implement in this function whatever calculation you want (e.g. based on values of attributes find who should be assigned) and then call API methods of Polarion to set corresponding assignees.

A simple Workflow function is provided in example in Polarion SDK (part of installation).

Best regards,
Nick

juck75

Postby juck75 » Mon Nov 07, 2011 1:36 pm

Hi Nick,

now i got it! Thanks!

Regards
Juergen

Return to “Polarion Application Lifecycle Management (ALM)”