Handling Links at Duplicate

Description
adeuter

Handling Links at Duplicate

Postby adeuter » Thu Sep 01, 2011 1:18 pm

If I duplicate a work item, Polarion generates a link between original and the duplicated work item (WI). This is fine for me.
But, if the origin already has a link to another work item, the duplicated one keeps also this link. This leads to a confusing link situation in our work flow. (e.g. the duplicate is a test case linked to a specification WI, but if the specification WI has a link to a requirement WI, then the test case is also linked to the requirement WI).

My question: Is it configurable that only a link to the origin is automatically created at Duplicate?

P.S. Apparently there is a difference between Polarion 2010 and 2011. In 2010 only one link was created (since then we have implemented our work flow, this was fine). In 2011 now two links are created.

Thanks

keith.roseberry

Re: Handling Links at Duplicate

Postby keith.roseberry » Sat Oct 29, 2011 1:14 pm

I would argue that the 2011 behavior is correct, since duplication should be just that - a strict copy of the data from one work item into another. The user always has the ability to edit the duplicate work item before saving, so if the extraneous link is not desired it can be removed by the user before committing the duplicate work item to the repository.

Be aware that duplication sometimes does not yield the desired result. For instance, duplicating a closed Change Request that has restrictions on workflow or permissions will result in a new, but closed, Change Request that cannot be altered. We've learned to be very careful with the duplicate function because of the tight workflow and permission controls we have on our work items.

Return to “Polarion Application Lifecycle Management (ALM)”