Template - workitem Id

Description
thomase

Template - workitem Id

Postby thomase » Tue Jun 21, 2011 5:35 pm

Hi,

I'd like to create a project template with pre-defined workitems.
The current examples indicate to create a folder per workitem whose name will be used as the WI id.
Consequently, all the projects created from this template will have their WI defined by the same Id.

Is it possible to automatically change the id at project creation (to have for instance "project_name-WI_number")?

Regards

Thom

NickEntin

Re: Template - workitem Id

Postby NickEntin » Fri Jun 24, 2011 9:53 am

Hi Thom,

no, it's not possible (just embedded default templates allowing that).
However Polarion supports different WI prefixes in one project, e.g. you can change project prefix after the time and new workitems will be created with a new prefix, while older preserve the old one.
Could you please describe your scenario why it's necessary for you to have single type of WI prefix?

Additionally you can apply following:
- like in Document Library, you may define several documents, which you can reuse in your new projects.
- by Document Reuse/copy you recreate workitems with project-specific prefix.

Best regards,
Nick

thomase

Postby thomase » Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:46 am

Hi Nick,

thanks for the reply,

We have some projects with the same kind of tasks. Using a template is interesting to create easily this list of tasks (e.g.: specifications, implementation, tests...). Today, we are using the WI Id to quickly identify or exchange on it. So if we have the same id (for instance "WI_") it will be the same for all the projects, so we will need to indicate "WI_X from ProjectY" which not optimised to me.
If we change the Id after creating the project, all the task within the same project won't have the same id, which is not very easy.

Alternatively, as suggested, I'm looking on creating tasks from document after project creation.

Regards,

Thom

NickEntin

Postby NickEntin » Tue Jul 05, 2011 6:58 pm

Thom,

as mentioned before may be the best solution will be:
- create project template without any workitems (no predefined WIs for specification, testing, etc.).
- the project template may refer how to import template (here not project template anymore, but e.g. specification document) a special project
- you create one project like demo "Documents library" - i.e. collection of templates for specification, testing, etc.
- you can reuse documents from the library and you'll achieve:
- Created Specifications will have similar structure and contain not only workitems, but also texts, sections, printable layout, etc.
- Created Specifications will have project-specific prefix for copied and newly created items

Best regards,
Nick

woecki

Postby woecki » Wed May 23, 2012 6:31 am

hi,
just curious: might this change in future? and is this really on purpose?
the usecase described by original poster is also mine: instantiate a project from a template and have some standard documents included with some workitems.
having a two-step process (1. create project 2. fill it with documents) is imho cumbersome, error-prone and not very intuitive.
as said: i understand the workaround and probably the technical background, but want to know if there are plans to improve.
br woecki

NickEntin

Postby NickEntin » Tue May 29, 2012 7:07 am

Hi Johann,

your summary is fully supported - project template allows you to create project prepopulated with workitems and documents.
The issue is that those initial workitems won't have project-specific IDs, but the ones defined by the template (and this is on purpose because there might be links and different traceabilities between those predefined items, wikis with references, texts, including WI ids, etc. Find/replace in content is/was not desired).
I'd recommend you to contact your Polarion rep. to describe the desire - we have a process of adding every release (and service release) some functionality or improvements, requested by customers. Prioritization of those requests depend on how big the opportunity is or how many customers require the same improvement.

Best regards,
Nick

woecki

Postby woecki » Thu May 31, 2012 1:47 pm

hi nick,

thanks for the explanation & the patience!

i was just strolling around polarion 2012 demo/sample projects and another question arose:
the v-model template in polarion 2012 contains some documents, e.g. the "functional requirement" doc. this doc provides some structure for a req-doc. interestingly e.g. headers are not wi's of type "header" in this doc.
nearly the same doc is provided via "document library", but in "document library" headers are wi's.

- is this by intention? what's the background of this distinction? or is it just to demonstrate the possibilities and let users choose?
- how are these doc's in the template created/edited? how to get the header-formatting without the header-wi? by manipulating the xml files directly?

i just want to understand the clever concepts :-),

br johann

JiriWalek

Postby JiriWalek » Fri Jun 01, 2012 8:35 am

Nice you catch this difference.

Actually try to do a fisrt modification and save the document. You see that the work items are created automatically... So generally the heading always is a work item.

So why they are not there when you create a project? Simply because when the document in project template contains work items, when you create a project, the workitems are created but with the same workitem ID as in template (check also the other items), this is with the same PREFIX. But people do no like to have these templates with headings like WI-, when they configured project with prefix MYPREFIX-. Also these are not SAMPLE items, as other items in templates, these headings should stay.

So we face a demand: include document templates in project templates, but when I create a project i do not want to have headings with general prefix WI-.

As a result: when the document has the heading in the source file just as <h1>My heading</h2>, not as a native heading refering to heading ID, than on first save the heading is converted into native polarion heading, i.e. workitem.

How do we produce such nice templates? Manually - we have a script (command line) that with some not trivial effort removes the native headings from template and replace them with plain html headings.
The improvement is tracked in our system to simplify life of project admins working on templates: when project is instantiated process the workitems and fix the project prefix to match the new one.

Best regards,
Jiri

Jiri Walek
Product Manager
Polarion Software

Return to “Polarion Application Lifecycle Management (ALM)”