MKS migration support (and others)

kencorbin

MKS migration support (and others)

Postby kencorbin » Mon Aug 11, 2008 12:56 am

I thought I should start a new topic to consolidate discussion and support for the alternate version of Polarion's importer that does a much better job of importing MKS archives. Actually, this branch has been accumulating recent changes for all of the other respositories. At this point I would recomend this version for any kind of migration except VSS. If you are trying to run a VSS migration, skip to the bottom of this post.

I committed the main archive, which means it is no longer necessary to rebuild the importer yourself to run this version. The packed distribution archives can be retrieved by using subversion to check out the following URL

http://svn.polarion.org/repos/community ... ild/packed

If you want to examine the full source, check out
http://svn.polarion.org/repos/community ... KS_Support
To build this version from the source, you have to install the older version of Maven 1.x, switch to the build directory and run the command

maven pack

Access this archives requires a Polarion community account. If you don't have one, you can register for a new account at http://community.polarion.org/polarion/.
The credentials could be used to access SVN repository
NOTE: FORUMS credentials can't be used to access SVN resources!

For VSS migrations, there is yet another development branch with the most recent VSS code. The binaries can be downloaded from
http://svn.polarion.org/repos/community ... 1-dist.zip
Source code can be checked out from
http://svn.polarion.org/repos/community ... SS_Support

Many thanks to Polarion for developing this package and allowing me to distribute the improved version.
Last edited by kencorbin on Thu May 27, 2010 5:34 pm, edited 4 times in total.

kencorbin

Re: MKS migration support

Postby kencorbin » Thu Aug 28, 2008 2:33 pm

Just posted an update that fixes a problem where the importer was loosing the first revision on any generated orphan branches.

agostav

Postby agostav » Wed Nov 11, 2009 6:39 pm

Where would we get access to this repository?

kencorbin

Postby kencorbin » Mon Nov 16, 2009 6:19 pm

You need a Polarion community account login, which is free. I updated the original post to include a link to the registration page.

NickEntin

Postby NickEntin » Fri Nov 27, 2009 8:31 am

Just a short comment - actually registering on the community server (community.polarion.org) should grant you login permissions to the server and repository at once (not waiting for day or two). If you'd have any issues with it, please report to support of Polarion.

Best regards,
Nick

rkuris

Postby rkuris » Thu Feb 11, 2010 12:43 am

A quick correction... the maven build target is "pack" not "packed".

I'm having all kinds of trouble getting this tool to work very well. I am expecting it to handle branches better than it is. It seems like it creates "orphans" and doesn't parse the MKS Labels. The orphans are not complete sets of sources, either, just things that happened to branch off.

kencorbin

Postby kencorbin » Fri Feb 12, 2010 7:46 pm

[quote="rkuris"]A quick correction... the maven build target is "pack" not "packed".

I'm having all kinds of trouble getting this tool to work very well. I am expecting it to handle branches better than it is. It seems like it creates "orphans" and doesn't parse the MKS Labels. The orphans are not complete sets of sources, either, just things that happened to branch off.[/quote]

Correction noted on the Maven target. I keep getting those mixed up.

The current implementation runs through the project development paths, identifies a checkpoint history branch associated with that path, and assigns all of the member revisions associated with that history branch to a subversion branch using the development path as a branch name. After that has been done, any "orphaned" member revisions branches that have not already been assigned to a subversion branch are assigned to an orphan subversion branch, pretty much at random.

This has worked well up to now, orphaned branches are only created in unusual and rare situations and the users can decide how best to deal with them. For you it obviously isn't working. My guess is that this is because your developers have made a habit of deleting the MKS development paths when they are no longer needed. This would result in lots and lots of orphaned branches being generated with little obvious rhyme or reason.

If this is what is happening, the simplest solution is to turn off the configuration option to generate orphaned branches. The theory being that if you didn't consider the development branches worth keeping in your MKS repository, you probably aren't that converting them to subversion branches. The MKS checkpoint history created by those deleted development paths will still be preserved as subversion tags, so you wouldn't be loosing that.

Arguably, the converter could do a better job of using the checkpoint history to bundle orphaned member branches into more meaningful orphaned branches. But that would take a fair amount of work and I'm just not seeing why it would be justified. If you've been deleting the MKS development paths why should the importer go through a lot of work to recreate them.

Good luck,
-Ken

thompsongregory41

Postby thompsongregory41 » Mon Feb 28, 2011 5:26 pm

kencorbin wrote:You need a Polarion community account login, which is free. I updated the original post to include a link to the registration page.

Thanks

Carla22

Re: MKS migration support (and others)

Postby Carla22 » Tue Jul 12, 2011 6:22 am

hi rkuris :)
the simplest solution is to turn off the configuration option to generate orphaned branches. The theory being that if you didn't consider the development branches worth keeping in your MKS repository, you probably aren't that converting them to subversion branches. The MKS checkpoint history created by those deleted development paths will still be preserved as subversion tags, so you wouldn't be loosing that.

best regards
Carla

czerka

Postby czerka » Fri Apr 13, 2012 6:50 pm

With MKS 2005, I can't get past

Code: Select all

13:44:49,113 [stderr]  INFO Exec:84 - Connecting to mks-server:7001 ...

I've done two things to start up IntegrityClient.exe with my cached username/password:

1. Start up the MKS SI GUI and log in
2. Used si.exe from the command line enter in password

Using latest from http://svn.polarion.org/repos/community ... ld/packed/

bkwon

Postby bkwon » Fri Jun 01, 2012 1:20 am

We are on Integrity Server 2009 SP7 with Oracle DB backend. Has anyone performed a successful migration with this tool having source that resides in an Oracle DB?

tardis

Postby tardis » Thu Feb 14, 2013 8:56 pm

We are trying to access the source for the SVN Importer tool at

http://svn.polarion.org/

but our IT Security group is blocking that site because it says it is hosted in the Czech Republic. Can you confirm the hosting location for this server and its IP address?

Rashmi

Postby Rashmi » Mon Dec 01, 2014 5:36 am

Hi,

I am trying to do a migration from MKS to SVN using svnimporter. But facing the below error when i run from command prompt

run.bat full config.properties

18:40:12,218 [main] ERROR Main:96 - EXCEPTION CAUGHT: org.polarion.svnimporter.mksprovider.MksException: Cannot run program "C:/Program Files/MKS/IntegrityClient/bin/si.exe": CreateProcess error=2, The system cannot find the file specified
at org.polarion.svnimporter.mksprovider.MksProvider.shutdownClient(MksProvider.java:597)
at org.polarion.svnimporter.mksprovider.MksProvider.buildMksModel(MksProvider.java:109)
at org.polarion.svnimporter.mksprovider.MksProvider.buildSvnModel(MksProvider.java:496)
at org.polarion.svnimporter.main.Main.buildFullSvnModel(Main.java:158)
at org.polarion.svnimporter.main.Main.run(Main.java:88)
at org.polarion.svnimporter.main.Main.main(Main.java:51)
Caused by: java.io.IOException: Cannot run program "C:/Program Files/MKS/IntegrityClient/bin/si.exe": CreateProcess error=2, The system cannot find the file specified
at java.lang.ProcessBuilder.start(Unknown Source)
at java.lang.Runtime.exec(Unknown Source)
at org.polarion.svnimporter.common.Exec.exec(Exec.java:218)
at org.polarion.svnimporter.mksprovider.MksProvider.shutdownClient(MksProvider.java:591)
at org.polarion.svnimporter.mksprovider.MksProvider.buildMksModel(MksProvider.java:109)
at org.polarion.svnimporter.mksprovider.MksProvider.buildSvnModel(MksProvider.java:496)
Caused by: java.io.IOException: CreateProcess error=2, The system cannot find the file specified
at java.lang.ProcessImpl.create(Native Method)
at java.lang.ProcessImpl.<init>(Unknown Source)
at java.lang.ProcessImpl.start(Unknown Source)
at java.lang.ProcessBuilder.start(Unknown Source)
at java.lang.Runtime.exec(Unknown Source)
at org.polarion.svnimporter.common.Exec.exec(Exec.java:218)
at org.polarion.svnimporter.mksprovider.MksProvider.shutdownClient(MksProvider.java:591)

18:40:12,219 [main] DEBUG MksProvider:80 - cleanup
18:40:12,220 [main] DEBUG SvnAdmin:80 - cleanup
18:40:12,221 [main] INFO historyLogger:84 - duration: 0 seconds
12:12:16,265 [main] ERROR MainConfig:100 - can't create new instance of provider class "org.polarion.svnimporter.mksprovider.MksProvider"
java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: Illegal pattern character 'N'

Can somebody please tell me whats wrong here?

Thanks
Shalini

Rashmi

Postby Rashmi » Mon Dec 01, 2014 6:42 am

Hi

Thanks for providing the svnimporter improved version - 1.4.

I used this command to do an export from MKS and import to SVN.

run.bat multirepo config.properties

12:02:00,215 [main] INFO MksProvider:84 - Loading Change Package ID Map File: MKSmapJIRA.csv
12:02:00,246 [main] DEBUG MksProvider:80 - defineRootProjectsAPI: Attempt to get a MKS cmdRunner
12:02:02,570 [main] FATAL MksIntegrityConnectionManager:104 - Failed to establish a session: Session not authenticated/authorized.
12:02:02,570 [main] DEBUG MksProvider:80 - defineRootProjectsAPI: Attempt to execute a MKS projects command
12:02:02,836 [main] WARN MksProvider:88 - Failed to establish a session: Session not authenticated/authorized.
12:02:02,836 [main] ERROR Main:96 - EXCEPTION CAUGHT: org.polarion.svnimporter.mksprovider.MksException: defineRootProjectsAPI: Mks API Execution Failures
at org.polarion.svnimporter.mksprovider.MksProvider.defineRootProjectsAPI(MksProvider.java:936)
at org.polarion.svnimporter.mksprovider.MksProvider.buildMultiMksModel(MksProvider.java:323)
at org.polarion.svnimporter.mksprovider.MksProvider.multiRepoDump(MksProvider.java:1858)
at org.polarion.svnimporter.main.Main.multiRepoDump(Main.java:201)
at org.polarion.svnimporter.main.Main.run(Main.java:92)
at org.polarion.svnimporter.main.Main.main(Main.java:53)

12:02:02,836 [main] DEBUG MksProvider:80 - cleanup
12:02:02,836 [main] INFO historyLogger:84 - duration: 2 seconds

Can somebody tell me what the file MKSmapJIRA used for? What should be the values?

Thanks
Shalini

satishg

Postby satishg » Fri Feb 03, 2017 6:32 am

HI Team,

I am migrating the code from MKS to SVN by using the svnimporter 1.4. I am able to generate the dump file successfully from MKS server. When i load the dump file into collabnet, only branch,tags,trunk folders are displaying and content is missing. Could you please help us how we can load the dump file into SVN.

Thanks,
Satish

Return to “Polarion SVN Importer (Repository Converter)”