MKS to SVN

4wire

MKS to SVN

Postby 4wire » Tue Aug 02, 2005 12:38 pm

Hi!

I've been trying to import my MKS stuff into CVS but I discovered that I can't easily import variant sandbox information from MKS to CVS. We use variant sandboxes for client specific project branches and we need to be able to keep it on the same tree, the alternative would be to have one project repository for each client. There is also a limitation in CVS on file versions for branches which would force me to re-number all files with branches...

Can the MKS to SVN importer re-use the variant sandbox info?

Or maybe SVN itself will make my job easier?

Thanks,

4wire

dobisekm

Postby dobisekm » Tue Aug 02, 2005 1:02 pm

Hi 4wire,

unfortunately SVN does not support sandboxes and SVNImporter does not give any support to convert these to SVN concepts.

So I don't think SVN would help you in this particular case. But, it is definitely a good decision to use SVN instead of CVS, since it is at least one generation newer repository implementation and thus offers better features (and avoids some problems CVS suffered with).

Best Regards,

Michal Dobisek, Polarion Team

martin

Postby martin » Wed Sep 14, 2005 8:05 am

Hi Michal,

I have the same problem but I think, SVN supports variant sandboxes as directory. A variant sandbox is a branch, that could be located in a directory branches/<variant sandbox name>. Each checkpoint could be be located in a directory tags/<checkpoint>

Martin

dobisekm

Postby dobisekm » Mon Sep 19, 2005 12:59 pm

Hi Martin,

thanks for clarification. If branch folder provides all features you mean by 'variant sandboxe', then SVN should perfectly handle this.

Michal Dobisek, Polarion TEam

Return to “Polarion SVN Importer (Repository Converter)”