PVCS -> SVN: NullPointerException (getCommitID)

ricobautsch

PVCS -> SVN: NullPointerException (getCommitID)

Postby ricobautsch » Thu Dec 06, 2012 9:45 am

I try to convert a PVCS repository to a SVN repository, sadly without success.
In the log file i see 2 problems:

The first is "wrong date", whichs occurs many times, the following line is a sample:

10:24:32,974 [main] ERROR VlogParser:96 - wrong date: 24 May 2011 17:24:52(sample format: 06 Dez 2012 10:24:32)

The second problem is the following:

10:24:32,977 [main] ERROR Main:96 - EXCEPTION CAUGHT: java.lang.NullPointerException
at org.polarion.svnimporter.common.model.CommitsCollection.getCommitId(CommitsCollection.java:120)
at org.polarion.svnimporter.common.model.CommitsCollection.addFile(CommitsCollection.java:97)
at org.polarion.svnimporter.common.model.CommitsCollection.addFiles(CommitsCollection.java:85)
at org.polarion.svnimporter.pvcsprovider.internal.model.PvcsModel.separateCommits(PvcsModel.java:198)
at org.polarion.svnimporter.pvcsprovider.internal.model.PvcsModel.finishModel(PvcsModel.java:120)
at org.polarion.svnimporter.pvcsprovider.PvcsProvider.buildPvcsModel(PvcsProvider.java:137)
at org.polarion.svnimporter.pvcsprovider.PvcsProvider.buildSvnModel(PvcsProvider.java:165)
at org.polarion.svnimporter.main.Main.buildFullSvnModel(Main.java:158)
at org.polarion.svnimporter.main.Main.run(Main.java:88)
at org.polarion.svnimporter.main.Main.main(Main.java:51)

Can someone help please?
In another post i found a solution, which was changing the regional settings from German to US, but here this didnt help.

Many thanks in advance
Rico

TJSampair

Re: PVCS -> SVN: NullPointerException (getCommitID)

Postby TJSampair » Thu Dec 20, 2012 3:03 pm

The importer has to be configured to match the PVCS client workstation for date & locality string translations. The normal behavior for a client is to translate the date strings from the SCM server according to the date format expected by the client workstation. This is also true for the locality of the client workstation for localization of strings.

Please make sure that your workstation configuration match the configuration you choose for the importer. Also check to make sure that the PVCS client configuration match as well since the PCLI tool will be making translations from zulu.

The configuration options for the importer are:
pvcs.log.dateformat=MMM dd yyyy HH:mm:ss
pvcs.log.datelocale=en
pvcs.log.encoding=Cp1251
#pvcs.log.datetimezone=Europe/Berlin

Not trying to pick on any other locality, but if you believe you have the correct settings above for all 3 areas(workstation, PVCS client and importer) than trying using the English configuration. This will not affect the results of the migration since this is only to perform the translations into zulu.

The second failure is more than likely a result of the date string translation failure. The commit date & time for the transactions for subversion are coming from those dates and times of the changes committed in PVCS and since the failure in translation is happening the results are null which is not anything close to what you want committed to subversion.

mrajan

Postby mrajan » Thu Sep 05, 2013 5:33 pm

I am getting following error on windows 2012 machine.

17:06:58,939 [stdout] INFO Exec:84 - Unknown os = Windows NT (unknown)
17:06:59,361 [stderr] INFO Exec:84 - Serena PVCS Version Manager (PCLI) v8.4.5.0 (Build 010) for Windows NT/80x86
17:06:59,361 [stderr] INFO Exec:84 - Copyright 1985-2012 Serena Software. All rights reserved.
17:07:59,452 [main] DEBUG Exec:80 - Process exit value: 0
17:07:59,514 [main] ERROR VlogParser:96 - wrong date: 10 Aug 2012 11:37:30(sample format: Sep 04 2013 17:07:59)

when I try the same export from my desktop 'Windows 7', it works fine. so there is some time-zone setting which is causing above error. I am using 1.3 version and following is the config file section for the timezone.

pvcs.log.dateformat=MMM dd yyyy HH:mm:ss
pvcs.log.datelocale=en
##pvcs.log.encoding=Cp1251
pvcs.log.encoding=utf-8
#pvcs.log.datetimezone=Europe/Berlin
pvcs.log.datetimezone=America/Tijuana
pvcs.verbose_exec=yes

Has anybody run into similar issue with Windows 2012 server ?

TJSampair

Postby TJSampair » Thu Sep 05, 2013 6:19 pm

Hi Mrajan,
The logged Error message complains about incorrect date format of DD MMM YYYY and you have the config.properties property for date format set to pvcs.log.dateformat=MMM DD YYYY which does not match your workstation(Server 2012) client configuration. I would suggest try to set it to DD MMM YYYY HH:mm:ss

Also if your clients configuration of timezone is not matched then the translation to zulu will be off by an offset.

Hope this was helpful.
Thanks,
-Tim

Return to “Polarion SVN Importer (Repository Converter)”