Import to SVN - File not Found Error

doppleganger

Import to SVN - File not Found Error

Postby doppleganger » Thu May 24, 2012 6:10 pm

I am trying to migrate a VSS repository to svn using SVNImporter 1.2 , since the size of the repo is quite big (200gb) i am trying to do it one branch at a time (there are around 10 branches connected to the root).Initially the import was succesful for around 2 branches but suddenly i am getting these file not found at errors and funny thing is the actual file is present in the location in vss without any errors.
what can i do to get rid of this error?

Devilsbane

Re: Import to SVN - File not Found Error

Postby Devilsbane » Tue Sep 11, 2012 8:57 pm

I encountered some errors similar to that while exporting from PVCS. In one instance, I was moving the dump files off of my machine because I was running out of space and it failed during error checking. In another, it was an access issue on one of the projects (revision not found was the actual error given) and a 3rd time it was a fluke because when I reran everything using the same config it was successful.

And chance that files are in use in that branch? Often file not found and file in use produce the same error codes/messages.

Devilsbane

Re: Import to SVN - File not Found Error

Postby Devilsbane » Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:32 pm

I actually encountered this exact same error (after my previous post) with one of my repos. My initial solution was to modify the files.tmp file and the vlog.tmp file and skip the failing files. (With the intent to check out all of the revisions manually and just add them into SVN later which was working because the file still existed and PVCS allowed me to do gets on all of the revisions). This skipped the failing files but ended up still failing because other files weren't found.

I decided that maybe the issue was that there was just too much data. Maybe my system was running out of RAM, maybe PVCS couldn't handle that many gets in a short period of time, who knows. So I again modified my .tmp files (the original ones, before I had manually removed files) but this time picked a point roughly half way through and cut the 2nd half of the file and pasted it into a new file. I did this for both vlog and files being sure that all of the files in files1.tmp are also in vlog1.tmp and the files on files2.tmp are part of vlog2.tmp

I then ran a dump using files1.tmp and vlog1.tmp (renaming them back to the original names without the 1). This worked. I used the SVNadmin load command to add them to an SVN repo. I renamed the .tmp files back to 1 and then renamed my part 2 tmp files back to files.tmp and vlog.tmp. I modified my config to not clear my repository, expecting that I would be able to start dumping where I left off.

The svninported completed successfully and created all my dump files (I had turned automatically importing to SVN off). So between the 2 dumps, I have everything out of PVCS and just need to get the second part into SVN. So I then used my svnadmin load command to start loading them on top of the repo that I dumped part 1 into. This is where I run into problems because the first dump file from part 2 is expecting to be revision 1 but since it is being dumped into an existing repository, files already exist.

So now I'm stuck. Was there another option I needed in my config file (incremental maybe??). Is there a switch on svnadmin that I need to use? Should I import the second set of dump files to their own repo and then merge them later with a different tool? I'm not sure :(

Return to “Polarion SVN Importer (Repository Converter)”