PVCS archives converted to subversion

aashishchanda

PVCS archives converted to subversion

Postby aashishchanda » Tue Sep 20, 2011 4:35 pm

Can any one done PVCS to subversion conversion ? what are the major branch and version number difference between PVCS and subversion

thanks
Asis

kencorbin

Re: PVCS archives converted to subversion

Postby kencorbin » Wed Sep 21, 2011 7:31 pm

I've never tried the PVCS -> Svn migration, but it is one of the importer tool options so you might as well give it a try. Other users have used it successfully.

Revision numbers in Subversion are completely different that any other RCS tool I know about. Instead of the number being assigned as changes are checked in to a particular member, a single global revision number is assigned for any change checked in anywhere in the repository. It takes some getting used to, but it does work.

Subversion doesn't have a branch or checkpoint feature. Instead it implements a cheap copy mechanism in which copies can be made of the entire repository tree at minimal cost in terms of CPU and disk resources. Then they established a convention that branch develoment is performed by copying the main directory to a subdirection of /branches. And checkpoints are performed by copying the main tree to a subdirectory of /tags. There are commands to merge changes from one directory copy to another.

There are complaints that this does not constitute "REAL" branch and checkpoint support. But I have found it to work satisfactorily.

Return to “Polarion SVN Importer (Repository Converter)”