Migrating from ClearCase to SVN: Appear to be missing files.

Michael.Celeste

Migrating from ClearCase to SVN: Appear to be missing files.

Postby Michael.Celeste » Mon Sep 12, 2011 3:43 pm

Our company is in the process of migrating from ClearCase to SVN. This weekend I used SVN Importer to migrate a test project and it appears that I'm missing files.

After the migration, the tags folder is full of my ClearCase baselines - which was great to see. Though when I look at what's included in the ClearCase baseline - there are files and folders not present in the corresponding tag.

Is there a bug that is missing files? Is there an option I am setting incorrectly in my config file? Any input on my dilemma would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Code: Select all

# The source repository provider,
# either cvs,cvsrcs,pvcs,mks,cc,vss or st
srcprovider=cc

###########################################################################
# Import dump settings
#
# import_dump_into_svn - If enabled then after dump creation,
#    it will be imported into svn repository via svnadmin
#    (you must write proper svn autoimport options)
#    If svn repository is not exist it will be created.
#
# existing-svnrepos  - if enables and if import enabled by previous
#   option then dump will be imported into svn repository ONLY IF REPOSITORY EXISTS
#
# clear_svn_parent_dir - if enabled and import enabled then application will delete all
#    existing records in svn's parent directory before import dump to it.
#   (affect for full dump only)
#

import_dump_into_svn=yes

#existing_svnrepos=yes

clear_svn_parent_dir=yes

# Option enables that feature:
# "Now the importer always import whole history(with possibilities like trunk-only etc.).
# It should be possible to import only current state as one revision. It is useful for
# the incremental import. In current situation we will never be able to import whole because
# of the size of the dump file."
# But see the new parameter "dump.file.sizelimit.mb" below.
#
# AFFECT FOR FULL DUMP CREATION ONLY!
use_only_last_revision_content=no

# VM systems often allow to set a description on a versioned file (one for all revisions).
# svnimporter is able to migrate it to a svn property. Since there is no predefined
# property key for this purpose in subversion, you can configure it here. If you do
# not give a property key name, the file description will not be migrated.
# NOTE: migration of properties is presently implemented only for PVCS
#
file_description_property_key=description

# If use_file_copy is set to yes, svnimporter uses SVN file copy operations for tags and
# branches. This raises the quality of the import dramatically. On the other hand,
# it works reliably for one-shot imports only. DO NOT SET THIS TO YES if you
# want to make incremental imports to synchronize repositories; otherwise the resulting
# dump files may not be importable to SVN.
#
# If set to no, every branch and tag operation is implemented as a simple file add operation.
# The origin of the tag or branch from the trunk is not recorded.
#
# Presently, this flag is evaluated only by the import from PVCS, CVS, MKS, ClearCase.
#
use_file_copy=yes

#####################################################################################
# FILE SETTINGS
#
# full.dump.file - file name pattern for saving full dump
# incr.dump.file - file name pattern for saving incremental dump
# incr.history.file - file for saving history for incremental dump
# list.files.to - destination file for saving scm's files list
# dump.file.sizelimit.mb - rough maximum dump file size in MegaBytes. See below.

#####################################################################################
full.dump.file=full_dump_%date%.txt
incr.dump.file=incr_dump_%date%.txt
incr.history.file=incr_history.txt
list.files.to=files_%date%.txt

# svnimporter checks the size of the current dump file before dump of each revision. If
# the size (in Megabytes) exceeds this limit, a new dump file is created. For large
# source repositories and/or small size limits, a run of svnimporter will generate a
# sequence of dump files. Their actual sizes will be slightly larger than the limit
# specified here.
#
# Take care not to set the limit too small. The dump file names are distinguished
# by their date part only which has a resolution of one second. Producing one dump file
# should therefore take longer than one second.
#
# Set the value to 0 to switch off this feature.

dump.file.sizelimit.mb=0

#######################################################################################
# SVN DUMP OPTIONS
#
# trunk_path - location of "trunk" folder. Can be "." if "only_trunk" option is enabled
# branches_path - location of "branches" folder
# tags_path - location of "tags" path
# svnimporter_user_name - name of service user, which create first revision etc.
# only_trunk -  if enabled then convert only trunk of repository (skip tags and branches)
#######################################################################################
trunk_path=Test_Import_2/trunk
branches_path=Test_Import_2/branches
tags_path=Test_Import_2/tags
svnimporter_user_name=myUserID
only_trunk=no

# SVN AUTOIMPORT OPTIONS
#
# svnadmin.executable - path to svnadmin executable
# svnadmin.repository_path - path to svn repository
# svnadmin.parent_dir - parent dir in svn repository for importing dump (must be created manually)
# svnadmin.tempdir - temp directory for svnadmin
# svnclient.executable - path to svn executable
# svnadmin.import_timeout - The value is length of time to wait in milliseconds,
#   if this parameter is set and "svnadmin load" did not finished after specified length of time
#   then it's process will be killed and svnimporter execution will be aborted.
# svnadmin.path_not_exist_signature - when importer checks repository path for existing
#   it compares output of "svn ls" command with given string. If given string not found
#   in command output and command return code is not null then importer cannot determine
#   path exist or not, then exception will be thrown.
#   If you runs importer not in English locale and log file contains similar as following error:
#       EXCEPTION CAUGHT: org.polarion.svnimporter.svnprovider.SvnAdminException:
            error during execution 'svn ls' command: svn: URL 'file:///c:/tmp/ImportFromCvs/zzzzz' existiert nicht in dieser Revision
#   then you should change signature to "existiert nicht in dieser Revision"
svnadmin.executable=svnadmin.exe
svnadmin.repository_path=C:/My_Repo
svnadmin.parent_dir=.
svnadmin.tempdir=C:\TEMP\svnimporter
svnclient.executable=svn.exe
svnadmin.verbose_exec=yes
#svnadmin.import_timeout=1800000

svnadmin.path_not_exist_signature=non-existent in that revision
#svnadmin.path_not_exist_signature=existiert nicht in dieser Revision

#################################################################################
########################## CLEAR CASE PROVIDER CONFIGURATION ####################
#################################################################################
cc.class=org.polarion.svnimporter.ccprovider.CCProvider
cc.executable=cleartool.exe
cc.projectpath=C:\\Path\\To\\My\\View
cc.log.dateformat=yyyyMMdd.HHmmss
cc.log.encoding=Cp1251
cc.tempdir=C:\TEMP\svnimporter
cc.verbose_exec=yes

########################## LOG4J CONFIGURATION ##################################
log4j.rootLogger=DEBUG, file

#log4j.logger.cz=DEBUG, file
#log4j.logger.cz=DEBUG, stdout

log4j.logger.historyLogger=DEBUG, historyFile

log4j.appender.file=org.apache.log4j.FileAppender
log4j.appender.file.File=svnimporter.log
log4j.appender.file.layout=org.apache.log4j.PatternLayout
log4j.appender.file.layout.ConversionPattern=%d{HH:mm:ss,SSS} [%t] %5p %c{1}:%L - %m%n

log4j.appender.historyFile=org.apache.log4j.FileAppender
log4j.appender.historyFile.File=history.log
log4j.appender.historyFile.layout=org.apache.log4j.PatternLayout
log4j.appender.historyFile.layout.ConversionPattern=%m%n

log4j.appender.stdout=org.apache.log4j.ConsoleAppender
log4j.appender.stdout.layout=org.apache.log4j.PatternLayout
log4j.appender.stdout.layout.ConversionPattern=%c{1}:%L %5p - %m%n

############################### DEBUG OPTIONS ###################################
#
# do not delete provider's temporary files
#
disable_cleanup=no

# Create or playback a playback log file
# This playback log file, plus your config.properties file can be emailed
# to the developers who can play it back to identify specific problems with
# your migration attempts.

# record.mode = normal - normal operation, nothing will be recorded or played
#               record - record all interactions with RCS system
#               record-stubs - same as record, except actual contents of
#                              member files will be replaced with a single
#                              line containing the file name and revision number
#                              Makes a much smaller file that reveals much
#                              less sensitive information.
#               playback - Play back previously recorded playback log file
# record.file = name of playback log file to record or playback

record.mode=normal
record.file=playback-log.txt

kencorbin

Re: Migrating from ClearCase to SVN: Appear to be missing fi

Postby kencorbin » Wed Sep 21, 2011 7:57 pm

There are some known problems with the Clearcase migration of branches and tags, and it looks like you ran into one of them. Once upon a time, I went through and figured out just what we would have to do to make it work properly, but it turned out to be a considerable amount of work, 3-4 days or so. That I don't have time to do on my own and no one has the money to pay Polarion's consulting rates to do it.

If you've got any clever Java programmers who want to try their hand at fixing things, I can get them started. Otherwise you are probably stuck.

mstinaff

Re: Migrating from ClearCase to SVN: Appear to be missing fi

Postby mstinaff » Fri Mar 08, 2013 10:36 pm

I wouldn't consider my self a clever java programmer, but maybe determined is enough.

My team is also interested in migrating from clearcase to svn. I've run the importer and the result seems to be so close but not quite right. One problem I'm seeing is branched files being added rather than copy-added. At any rate I was excited to see that the source is available and would be grateful for any info you can provide to help me get started.

Thank you,
Mike

Return to “Polarion SVN Importer (Repository Converter)”