Timeout or hang when exporting StarTeam to SVN.

jchoover

Timeout or hang when exporting StarTeam to SVN.

Postby jchoover » Wed Aug 17, 2011 4:00 pm

Using either the 1.2 release, or a build from source using the Improved_MKS_Support branch, I keep running into a problem after ~3 hours where the dump simply hangs. I see nothing of value in the logs. Previously it would choke after 3.5 hours with a Star Team connection timeout, so I changed the user to a named user with no timeout.

I'm running this conversion on a CentOS 5.6 VM with 2 cores and 2 GB of ram. I've also tweaked the Java memory via -Xmx1536m but nothing seems to get it to continue on. Has anyone have any luck using the export with a relativly large repository and a current version of the Star Team client?

Are there any other logging options or tweaks I could try?

THanks in advance.

jchoover

Re: Timeout or hang when exporting StarTeam to SVN.

Postby jchoover » Wed Aug 24, 2011 3:48 pm

I'm still having no luck getting the dump to succeed. Since changing to the named user, I no longer get the behavior of the java process hanging for 30 minutes and then failing. When it fails, all the remaining files are exported as null files.

Is there any way to make the dump tool export a date range at a time, so I could break the one large dump into several smaller dumps? Are there any logs on the Star Team server side that would be of interest that might explain the hang? Can you think of anything else to try?

At this point I'm at a loss of what to try next and I'd appreciate any help or suggestions to try, no matter how off base they might be.

kencorbin

Re: Timeout or hang when exporting StarTeam to SVN.

Postby kencorbin » Wed Sep 21, 2011 8:18 pm

There were no error messages in either the log file or stdout??????

I do think that running a large migration with 2G of RAM is a setup for failure. The migration takes absurd amounts of memory. We usually run it on servers where 8-12G is commonly available.

Good luck

Return to “Polarion SVN Importer (Repository Converter)”