"File not Found" problems with VSS import..

CleverCoder

"File not Found" problems with VSS import..

Postby CleverCoder » Thu Mar 30, 2006 9:43 pm

Good afternoon!

First, I am excited about the possibility of converting our companies VSS repositories into SVN. In some simple tests, things worked just fine!

However, I have been running into a consistent issue where I'm seeing the following error. (SVN client 1.3 and 1.2.3 tried, M6 and the latest nightly of SVNImporter tried, WIndows XP):
Exec:84 INFO - svnadmin: File not found: transaction '44-1', path '/Navigator/trunk/frmMain.frx'
Exec:84 INFO - <<< Started new transaction, based on original revision 1

I found a rather heavy thread discussing the same problem, but from a different issue. .. Which was fixed last November or so. I have cracked open the dump file looking for clues. In this case, here is the associated logs from the import process for this file:

History Log:

Code: Select all

History of $/Applications/Navigator/frmMain.frm ...

*****************  Version 4   *****************
User: Vtang        Date: 12/09/05   Time:  3:19p
Checked in $/Applications/Navigator
Comment:

*****************  Version 3   *****************
User: Vtang        Date: 11/16/05   Time: 12:16p
Comment:

*****************  Version 2   *****************
User: Vtang        Date: 11/16/05   Time: 10:53a
Comment:

*****************  Version 1   *****************
User: Vtang        Date: 11/11/05   Time: 11:17a
Created
Comment:

"Files" Log:

$/Applications/Navigator:
frmMain.frm
frmMain.frx
Navigator.vbp

3 item(s)

Also, performing the 'load' using svnadmin, I get the exact same error. When I cracked open the dump file, I was able to successfully find all the copies of the file, noted with the same name.

The thing that seems strange is that the "add" record:

Node-path: trunk/frmMain.frx
Node-kind: file
Node-action: add
Prop-content-length: 39

is located BELOW the 'update' records. :idea: Could this be causing the problem? Is the load process reading in the update records first and complaining about the file not existing in the repository?

Oh well. Maybe I'll grab the source and dig a bit.

If anyone knows the fix to this, i'd be mighty glad! Everything else seems very cool.. (Especially how commits appear atomic!)

Best regards!
-Sean

CleverCoder

Is it the date format?.... unfortunately no..

Postby CleverCoder » Thu Mar 30, 2006 9:57 pm

I did notice that the dates were the same on the files in question.. so I followed the advice here: http://forums.polarion.org/viewtopic.php?t=36&highlight=date

However, even though the timestamps are now 24 hour, and I changed the config file, the problem still exists...

Still hunting..

Cheers!
-Sean[/url]

CleverCoder

Think I found the problem.

Postby CleverCoder » Mon Apr 03, 2006 5:30 pm

Seems that the "add" and "modify" order makes a difference in the dump file! The "add" entries were appearing under rev 3 (with the modify entries under rev2). When I manually moved the 'add' entries up and the modify entries down, the import works!!!!!

Definitely a bug!

Still digging.. It looks like there is something wrong with the export from VSS that incorrectly puts the 'add' records after the modify. It doesn't seem to be the dates, either..

dobisekm

Postby dobisekm » Tue Apr 04, 2006 8:36 am

Hi Sean,

what you describe might be actually really a bug. I am not able to test VSS right now, but we observed the same problem in CVS, when the dates for some commits were broken (this could be one direction to search) and also in PVCS, when some error in the command executed to PVCS occured and we were not able to parse the resulting output correctly (this was caused by some inconsistency in the PVCS repository).

Running the Importer from IDE and using debugger can help you in fining the problem (and posting a fix or at least deaper bug analysis would help the community as well).

I hope this helps,

Michal Dobisek
Polarion Team

CleverCoder

Postby CleverCoder » Tue Apr 04, 2006 12:15 pm

Hi Michal!

As of yesterday afternoon I was actually attempting to do just that :) However, I did hit a couple problems setting up my IDE with respect to the source. Duplicate classes were found for some of the JavaCVS stuff.. Is there a good document that can help me set up the dev environment? I would be curious to fix the problem.

Best regards,
-Sean

dobisekm

Postby dobisekm » Tue Apr 04, 2006 1:13 pm

Hi Sean,

I was actually thinking about such document, since I explained this multiple times in the past days, but I didn't get the time yet. In you case the easiest way to solve the CVS classes problems is IMO to simply don't import any classes (source folders) from the CVS provider - you should not need them since you work with VSS (this applies to other PVCSs, MKSs, etc. as well).

I hope this helps,

Michal Dobisek
Polarion Team

CleverCoder

Postby CleverCoder » Tue Apr 04, 2006 1:16 pm

That was too easy :)
I think I will have better luck setting up the run configuration.. That should be easy.

I'll try and find the bug.. who knows .. maybe I can show this off today.

Thanks again!
-Sean

CleverCoder

Postby CleverCoder » Tue Apr 04, 2006 1:24 pm

I had to share my joy. Within a matter of minutes I was able to run the importer, using the configuration I had before, inside my IDE (Netbeans).
However, the executable JAR thing alludes me, but I should be able to submit a patch if I can figure out the issue.

Thanks again!!
-Sean

CleverCoder

Postby CleverCoder » Tue Apr 04, 2006 5:55 pm

I can't believe it.. after all this. Turns out, that the root of my problem was the date format! DOH!!!! :lol:

In this case, for some (stupid) reason, I had:
vss.log.dateformat=dd/MM/yy HH:mm

Instead of:
vss.log.dateformat=MM/dd/yy HH:mm

This fixed the issue. I think it would be good to add a sanity check to ensure the 'add' revision type is first for a given file commit history. I decoded the source and I can see ways to add this safety check.
Heck, maybe even detecting the users locale and putting a smart check against the specified date format..

Oh well. Thanks for the help! Hopefully someone else can benefit from this!
Cheers!
-Sean

Return to “Polarion SVN Importer (Repository Converter)”